Feasibility of using Arduino and Android to control Vehicle HVAC

I hope this is the best place to post this question...I came across Arduino while researching if anyone has used an Android device to control a vehicle's HVAC (specifically a 2005 Nissan Pathfinder). I would like to remove the knobs and button and use the touch interface of the Android to control everything if possible.

I've seen a lot of great projects that I would love to jump into for myself and my son, but due to time restraints I want to focus on the vehicle HVAC possibility first.

I've read that there are some great examples in the Arduino IDE, would any of those be of use for a project like this one?

Any thoughts, suggestions, information pointing in the right direction to get started would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for any help you could provide!!!

To be honest, I think that is much too ambitious for a first project.

@bigred1212 - What would you recommend starting with, with the thought in mind working towards being able to accomplish controlling the HVAC via an Android device?

I would start at the very beginning, because that's a very good place to start. Do, re, mi.

Once you can modify the basic BLINK sketch to your heart's content, then break down and work through the pieces involved with blinking an LED with your phone. Once you can control an LED, I would think that would get you closer to controlling things on a car. I would think a substantial amount of research on exactly how the car systems you want to control actually work would be in order as well.

This might be interesting: http://www.instructables.com/id/How-control-arduino-board-using-an-android-phone-a/

I think the hardest part of this project would be replacing the existing mechanical user interface with something that can be driven electronically. How hard that will be depends on how the manual controls work, but if they operate flaps and valves you'd be looking at making and installing custom mechanical actuators - making that reliable could be a nightmare.

Thank you both for your replies...I guess I'll back to dreaming about this and wait to see if something else comes along that could make it happen.

Instead of dreaming about it, I think it would be better to start working toward it. Blink, modified blink, making an Android app, blink controlled by a phone, etc.