Feasibility question: having an Arduino read from an external file?

I'm working on designing a device that mimics simple up and down breathing motion of the chest. My design currently uses an Arduino to control a servo motor. This is a portable device and thus will need to function without a computer save for uploading the programs. I have two feasibility questions:

• Is it possible to have the Arduino read from a single-column patient breathing file of position data (.txt) and rotate the motor to specific angles in real time that correspond to each position in the file? This is an essential requirement.
  • Is it possible to have the Arduino be able to switch between patients at the flick of a switch; i.e. read from a different file and perform the same calculations and output to the motor? This is an optional requirement but is highly desired.

If either are possible, how would I go about doing this? Thanks for any help.

1. SD card sheild
  2. Yes, but how many patients are we talking about? How do you anticipating choosing patient 2,234 out of 100,000?

Thanks for the answer.

• Are you able to provide more details about how I would go about this? Would it require a new board? I did a quick Google search and that is what it seems like. Or are there any attachments I can get for my existing Uno? I'd like to keep using the Uno if at all possible (since that's what I currently have access to).
  • I would just need to switch between three patient files at a time. The older patient files would be replaced with new ones when necessary.