Feature request

Hi everyone,

this is my first post and I'm not sure if this is the right topic.
I tried the search function but didn't find anything about feature requests.

(1) It would be great, if you could add existing files to a project without closing and reopening the sketch.

(2) I'm regulary switching between different boards, and every time all(?) board settings are reset to default.
It would be cool if the last settings for a board could be saved or if there was a possibility to save some "presets".

But apart from that I'm very impressed about the progress you made!

After using beta4 for some days I would also like to be able to

(3) auto hide the output window
(4) tear off the serial monitor into a separate wnidow by dragging it out of the main window

1 Like

lorandil:
(2) I'm regulary switching between different boards, and every time all(?) board settings are reset to default.
It would be cool if the last settings for a board could be saved or if there was a possibility to save some "presets".

That is certainly inconvenient, especially with the boards that make more extensive use of this feature.

I have tested this a few times without being able to reproduce it. Please provide a detailed set of steps that can be used to reproduce the bug.

lorandil:
(3) auto hide the output window

My concern is this could result in confusing behavior for beginners. The output window provides feedback on what has happened, so if it disappears immediately after the process finishes then a beginner might be left wondering what was the result. It could be enabled via a setting in the "advanced" section though.

lorandil:
(4) tear off the serial monitor into a separate wnidow by dragging it out of the main window

That would certainly provide a closer emulation of the classic Arduino IDE's Serial Monitor. Do you have a specific reason for wanting it in a separate window?

pert:
That is certainly inconvenient, especially with the boards that make more extensive use of this feature.

I tried it again myself - I can reproduce it with Arduino IDE 1.8.13 (Mega2560 <-> ATtiny85) but not with the 2.0 beta4 :confused: . I will keep you posted if it should happen (again?)!

My concern is this could result in confusing behavior for beginners. The output window provides feedback on what has happened, so if it disappears immediately after the process finishes then a beginner might be left wondering what was the result. It could be enabled via a setting in the “advanced” section though.

I see what you mean - and I agree that it could be an advanced feature. I like to use the full height of the screen for my code, but on the other hand I like to see what’s going on when compiling and flashing. Auto hide (like in VisualStudio, the output window hides to a tab at the bottom, when I click into the main window) would be perfect. The window would remain accessible without blocking many lines.

That would certainly provide a closer emulation of the classic Arduino IDE’s Serial Monitor. Do you have a specific reason for wanting it in a separate window?

The same reason as above, I like to keep my code window clean. With 1.8.13 I move the serial monitor to the second screen, so I can watch outputs while making changes to the code without wasting space.

lorandil:
I tried it again myself - I can reproduce it with Arduino IDE 1.8.13 (Mega2560 <-> ATtiny85) but not with the 2.0 beta4 :confused: . I will keep you posted if it should happen (again?)!

Ah, yes. It’s funny because when I was writing my previous reply I remembered a previous discussion about this issue and dug it up, but then saw that I had forgotten it didn’t affect Arduino IDE 2.x, so I thought the one you reported must have been something else. Here is the other discussion:
https://forum.arduino.cc/?topic=731027

lorandil:
With 1.8.13 I move the serial monitor to the second screen, so I can watch outputs while making changes to the code without wasting space.

OK. Thanks for the explanation. You’re welcome to submit a feature request to the Arduino IDE developers here:

Before opening issues on GitHub, you should do a search for existing ones to avoid making a duplicate. However, in this case I already checked for a previous feature request and there aren’t any.

pert:
OK. Thanks for the explanation. You're welcome to submit a feature request to the Arduino IDE developers here:
Issues · arduino/arduino-ide · GitHub
Before opening issues on GitHub, you should do a search for existing ones to avoid making a duplicate. However, in this case I already checked for a previous feature request and there aren't any.

Ok, will do :slight_smile:

Thanks! I already saw your first request has been well received.

a tear off serial monitor is rather useful, but another way though is to delegate it to a dedicated serial monitor app like putty.
https://www.putty.org/
good serial monitors with a lot of features take a lot of effort to develop. it may help to find existing solutions that already works well. putty didn't just do serial but has telnet and ssh as well.
a problem though is for a 'serial monitor' that integrates with a graphing tool. that i'd guess could be met with a dedicated tool as well.

a_g123:
a tear off serial monitor is rather useful, but another way though is to delegate it to a dedicated serial monitor app like putty.
https://www.putty.org/
good serial monitors with a lot of features take a lot of effort to develop. it may help to find existing solutions that already works well. putty didn't just do serial but has telnet and ssh as well.
a problem though is for a 'serial monitor' that integrates with a graphing tool. that i'd guess could be met with a dedicated tool as well.

Thanks for the tip.
The problem with external tools like putty is, that they block the serial port.
The IDE won't be able to upload to the micro controller until the connection is manually closed.
With the integraded serial monitor the IDE can claim and release the port as necessary :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

The tear off Serial Monitor feature request is being tracked by the Arduino IDE developers here: