Fedora 14 x86, 0022, Duemilanove328 and Uno Mega not working

Hi all,

If this has been asked before, I apologize.

I've got two duemilanove328s and a new Uno Mega. I recently switched from Ubuntu and last used 0018 and never had any trouble programming sketches into the two d328s. I wanted to get back to it and play with the uno, but I keep getting "avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding" when I try to program it (using "blink" to keep it simple). I looked at the trouble-shooting page and tried symlinking /dev/ttyACM0 to /dev/ttyUSB0, I've tried chmod'ing /dev/ttyUSB0 and /dev/ttyACM0 to 777 and I've run up the IDE as the 'root' user. The Uno simply won't program

With the above testing, I went back to the Duemilanove and tried loading the blink program again. I did eventually get it to blink, but with a simple additional 'Serial.print("tick");' after the delay(), I get nothing from the serial monitor. However, if I load the ASCII print example, I do see output.

I am quite lost... Is this a driver issue? A Fedora issue? a 0022 + 64bit issue? Do I just need to be hit with the clue stick?

:disappointed_relieved:

Here is what I get with the Uno trying to load the ASCII example running as root with /dev/USB0 symlinked to /dev/ttyACM0. I held while trying to upload the sketch to either tty to generate the messages below. Fully up to date Fedora x86_64 system running 0022 downloaded from the main arduino page earlier this evening.

lework:/home/digimer/projects/arduino/arduino# ./arduino 
Experimental:  JNI_OnLoad called.
Stable Library
=========================================
Native lib Version = RXTX-2.1-7
Java lib Version   = RXTX-2.1-7

Binary sketch size: 2190 bytes (of a 32256 byte maximum)
/home/digimer/projects/arduino/arduino/hardware/tools/avrdude -C/home/digimer/projects/arduino/arduino/hardware/tools/avrdude.conf -v -v -v -v -patmega328p -cstk500v1 -P/dev/ttyUSB0 -b115200 -D -Uflash:w:/tmp/build3223344826524159077.tmp/ASCIITable.cpp.hex:i 

avrdude: Version 5.4-arduino, compiled on Feb 16 2011 at 20:52:19
         Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/

System wide configuration file is "/home/digimer/projects/arduino/arduino/hardware/tools/avrdude.conf"
         User configuration file is "/root/.avrduderc"
         User configuration file does not exist or is not a regular file, skipping

Using Port            : /dev/ttyUSB0
         Using Programmer      : stk500v1
         Overriding Baud Rate  : 115200
avrdude: Send: 0 [30]   [20] 
avrdude: ser_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: Send: Q [51]   [20] 
/home/digimer/projects/arduino/arduino/hardware/tools/avrdude -C/home/digimer/projects/arduino/arduino/hardware/tools/avrdude.conf -v -v -v -v -patmega328p -cstk500v1 -P/dev/ttyACM0 -b115200 -D -Uflash:w:/tmp/build3223344826524159077.tmp/ASCIITable.cpp.hex:i 

avrdude: Version 5.4-arduino, compiled on Feb 16 2011 at 20:52:19
         Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/

System wide configuration file is "/home/digimer/projects/arduino/arduino/hardware/tools/avrdude.conf"
         User configuration file is "/root/.avrduderc"
         User configuration file does not exist or is not a regular file, skipping

Using Port            : /dev/ttyACM0
         Using Programmer      : stk500v1
         Overriding Baud Rate  : 115200
avrdude: Send: Q [51]   [20] 
lework:/home/digimer/projects/arduino/arduino# ls -lah /dev/ttyUSB0 /dev/ttyACM0 
crwxrwxrwx 1 root dialout 166, 0 Mar  1 01:03 /dev/ttyACM0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root        12 Mar  1 01:00 /dev/ttyUSB0 -> /dev/ttyACM0

Hi,

are you sure the account you're using arduino with is a member of the dialout-, uucp- and perhaps lock-group? Didn't need lock here (suse 11.2) but the other are vital.

Cheers Matti

Thanks for the reply.

Yup, I followed the instructions I found on the Fedora/Arduino tutorial (sorry, don't have the link off-hand). I've got:

uid=500(digimer) gid=500(digimer) groups=500(digimer),54(lock),18(dialout)

and

uid=0(root) gid=0(root) groups=0(root),1(bin),2(daemon),3(sys),4(adm),6(disk),10(wheel),54(lock),18(dialout)

So it should have worked in either case, as I understand it.

Hi, hope you had a good day ... so, group-wise it looks ok. Wonder why fedora uses dialout for the tty devices and not the more traditional uucp, but i've seen that on other fedoras, too. Don't know anything about the fedora internals, but perhaps you'd like to try and add didgimer to the uucp group,too.

One thought appeared during the day: do you by any chance have brltty running on your system? That thingy blocks serial devices and you have to remove it (see the 3rd paragraph on the linux-getting-started-requirements).

Other than that i'm lost, i'm afraid...

Hope you have a good time nevertheless. Cheers Matti

I just ran into this problem. Despite adding my account to the lock, uucp, and dialout groups I still could not access ttyUSB0. I suggest that you check the ownership on /var/lock (ls -ld /var/lock). Note the -d option to 'ls(1)'.

My install of Fedora 14 listed the owner.group as root.root. Changed the group on the directory to 'uucp' and the permissions to 775. Now I'm cooking!!!

As root: chgrp uucp /var/lock chmod 775 /var/lock

-Rusty-

Hi, I recently had the same exact problem with Fedora15 and the Arduino22 IDE. I found a simple fix located at my site http://evolveelectronics.net/?p=613.

If you look at the lines underneath the AVRdude Copyright info you will see that there is no avr config file setup located. It appears your attempting to run the IDE from root. by copying the config file from your home folder to the /root/.avrduderc will give it the specific baud rates, board type, chip type, reset, sync loops, etc. that it needs to properly communicate.