Feed Timer

Hi everyone, i was hoping i could get some direction on a project i want to start. Im looking to build a feed timer that has the ability to feed multiple times a day at the exact time everyday. im needing a astronomical clock or atomic clock or something similiar and automatically changes with daylight savings time so i never have to go change my time all through out the year. Can you help me with what kind of switch or micro processors or gps recievers or whatever gadgets could make this happen? obviously im very green at this. see attached for a bigger picture and the components im working with. all this will be ran on 12v battery.

The Timer.pdf (442 KB)

texas:
Maybe set it up just like the Geo-Timer use to be and just tell it how many seconds to feed at a certain time like every morning at sunrise and every evening 1 hour before sunset for how ever many seconds.

It would be easier to use offsets from sunrise and sunset since “daylight savings time” is a legal fiction that can be changed. There are formulae for calculating sunrise and sunset based on UTC/GMT and local latitude and longitude. You should be able to get all the data from a GPS receiver.

Thx John, Besides the GPS receiver, I guess the only thing I gotta find out now is how to power the GPS receiver and have it display the time on the timer somehow? Will the god receiver run on a 12v battery and do you know how I could go about hooking this up or just helping me out on parts I need to look up. Sry for all the questions

This library can do the sunrise and sunset calculations:

https://github.com/probonopd/TimeLord

texas: to feed multiple times a day at the exact time everyday.

It seems your question is taken care of quite well - now I have a question for you as your post piqued my interest.

What are you trying to feed that needs such exact feed timing?

johnwasser: This library can do the sunrise and sunset calculations:

https://github.com/probonopd/TimeLord

thank you

wvmarle:

texas:
to feed multiple times a day at the exact time everyday.

It seems your question is taken care of quite well - now I have a question for you as your post piqued my interest.

What are you trying to feed that needs such exact feed timing?

deer, its just a hassle to keep going out to your feeder every month and changing what time the feeder throws corn because the daylight is always changing. most people dont care if there time is off but i do lol. lil ocd

I’m curious if you were able to get this figured out. I have been reading stuff online all day trying to figure out how to do the exact same thing. Are you using an Arduino, if so what parts etc? I would love to build a couple of these timers.