Fencing (foil) Training

I'm about to help a young child to produce a training aid for his Fencing with the foil Sword.

The plan is to use a 2 foot carpet square as a base with a conductive material (foil or other material covering), plus 3 small felt circles with their own conductive material. these being linked to the wall box by cable, with the box having a wire to connect to the foil (sword).

Inside the box an arduino Uno which will control two LEDS a Yellow and Green which get light depending on which area was connected by the Sword.

I was wounding if I could get by using a capacitance touch sensor instead not needing a wire to the Foil (Sword) to make the connection.

greenpid:
I'm about to help a young child to produce a training aid for his Fencing with the foil Sword.

The plan is to use a 2 foot carpet square as a base with a conductive material (foil or other material covering), plus 3 small felt circles with their own conductive material. these being linked to the wall box by cable, with the box having a wire to connect to the foil (sword).

Inside the box an arduino Uno which will control two LEDS a Yellow and Green which get light depending on which area was connected by the Sword.

I was wounding if I could get by using a capacitance touch sensor instead not needing a wire to the Foil (Sword) to make the connection.

Why so complicated ?

A wire connection to the foil should suffice.

Someone here is an expert in this sport , maybe he will come along soon.

Foil is funny; sword tip switch is closed until the tip is pressed with 500 grams of pressure, and then it opens.

So almost need dual senses going on - detect that sword tip is open, and detect pressure against the target area for the valid time of a touch, which I think is a few mS, but I can't get the Rule Book to open here to confirm:
http://www.usfencing.org/usa-fencing-rule-book

Ok, a search brings it up

Page 184 - foil tip needs to be pressed for 13-15mS (14 +/-1mS).

Crossroads, did you post on the BasicStamp forum about fencing some 10-15 years ago ?

Doubtful - we didn't get into fencing until 2002, and not into forums until summer 2010 when Arduino started to be seen more with Duemilanove.
Never played with BasicStamp.

Thanks for the comment.

This was an idea to cut out the need to have a wire to the foil.

Boardburner2:
Why so complicated ?

A wire connection to the foil should suffice.

Someone here is an expert in this sport , maybe he will come along soon.

:slight_smile:

CrossRoads:
Foil is funny; sword tip switch is closed until the tip is pressed with 500 grams of pressure, and then it opens.

So almost need dual senses going on - detect that sword tip is open, and detect pressure against the target area for the valid time of a touch, which I think is a few mS, but I can’t get the Rule Book to open here to confirm:
http://www.usfencing.org/usa-fencing-rule-book

Ok, a search brings it up
http://assets.ngin.com/attachments/document/0085/5875/USA_Fencing_Rules_9-15.pdf

Page 184 - foil tip needs to be pressed for 13-15mS (14 +/-1mS).

Does that mean the simple circuit I’ve designed will not work. where the wire to the foil is connected to 9v supply and the wire from the target is connected to the Arduino via a voltage divider to drop voltage to 5v and read from the pin. As the foil will not make the connection.

It gets a little complicated in that you have 4 inputs, but only 1 switch, and that switch is normally closed.
So you can't use the foil to pull an input low with a touch for example, and you can't use the switch opening to let an input go high.

I suppose if you had the foil wired to be just grounded (short the tip to the barrel with barrel/blade connected to pad ground), then you could use it to touch any of the pads to pull a pin low.