Film Pressure Sensitive Sensors

Hi I'm very new with using arduino. So I have this project wherein I have to replace the remote system of an electric skateboard that controls its speed with a pressure system that would be placed on top of the board but my problem is that I can't find a FSR sensor(60-100kg if possible)that would be able to handle the mass of an actual person. Would you please help me with ideas on which type of sensor i could use.

Force sensors effectively measure strain. A skateboard is elastic enough for application of strain gauges. Your biggest problem will be the glue for mounting the gauges.

DrDiettrich:
Force sensors effectively measure strain. A skateboard is elastic enough for application of strain gauges. Your biggest problem will be the glue for mounting the gauges.

May you recommend me a type of strain gauges cause I'm a bit overwhelmed with the different kinds of strain gauges or load cells that pop up when I look it up in google

Get familiar with strain gauges in general, sensor bridges, amplifiers and ADC. Understand the strain caused by the driver’s movements. Then decide whether you master 2D gauges, or use 1D gauges.

"I have to replace the remote system of an electric skateboard that controls its speed with a pressure system that would be placed on top of the board"

Sounds like an unstable setup apparently using the feet balancing on the board to also control the board speed. Probably many different ways to make a foot operated throttle. Make one that noes not require the full weight of the person to operate.

zoomkat:
“I have to replace the remote system of an electric skateboard that controls its speed with a pressure system that would be placed on top of the board”

Sounds like an unstable setup apparently using the feet balancing on the board to also control the board speed. Probably many different ways to make a foot operated throttle. Make one that noes not require the full weight of the person to operate.

The problem is that I don’t know how yet I’m still researching on possible solutions my deadline is early June.
I am considering 2 strain gauges with the HX711.

Give these people a call: https://www.tekscan.com/pressure-sensors Tekscan sells force-sensitive resistor (FSR) sensors. (In cases like yours, calling and talking to someone can be a lot faster than emailing back and forth.)

FSRs can easily handle the weight of a person. Even the lowly A201 with its 0.375" diameter sensing area can take up to 1000 lb (read the datasheet...you can go way beyond the standard range of 100lb by changing the circuit).

FSRs are not all that accurate, but you probably don't need accuracy...you mostly need a wide enough range of acceptable loading so you can modulate your speed, and decent stability and repeatability. That may be possible with an FSR.

Check this out...Pro Tips to Validate Sensor Performance Before Prototyping | Tekscan

An image from that page, showing results of an FSR tested with 10 lbs every 10 seconds:

However, as already mentioned, controlling speed with your feet, which are already busy controlling direction, seems like a Bad Idea.

DaveEvans:
However, as already mentioned, controlling speed with your feet, which are already busy controlling direction, seems like a Bad Idea.

Well, direction is side to side, speed is back and forth.

You are just emulating the so-called "hoverboards" or Segways.

The devil is in the details.