Final Year Project on Home Security System

Hi There,
i'am an undergrad Electronics and Computer Engineering student currently working
on my final year project and being asked to come up with a project idea of my own
i planned doing an Arduino microcontroller based project on
Home Motion Detection Security System

• sensor positioned at entry corners of the house also including the rooms
  • notifies the owner via E-mail and Sms when an intruder comes to the house and also notifies
    as intruder steps in a new location e.g room, toilet or kitchen.
  • also specifies the time duration the intruder spends at a particular location of the house
  • a camera at the main entrance that takes a picture of intruder as he steps in and also sent to owner as Email attachment

please advise on how this can be accomplished and what necessary components both Hardware and Software
will be required as i have limited time to present this topic and defend it.

Thanks guys for the anticipated help in advance

Regards
Andrew

That's a completely trivial hobbyist project, not worthy of an ECE final year project for graduation. Every aspect of that project can be lifted from this site somewhere or other.

JimboZA:
That's a completely trivial hobbyist project, not worthy of an ECE final year project for graduation. Every aspect of that project can be lifted from this site somewhere or other.

I agree with JimboZA.

In this project is an opportunity, however. Not many (trivial hobbyist or otherwise) Home Automation or Security solutions deal with the problem of detecting 'presence' if there is no motion (e.g. "did she fall asleep in her chair or did she leave the room?" or, "did my son enter the room or my dog?").

there are opportunities like that in your project...

i’m open to new suggestions people

Andr_yayo:
i'm open to new suggestions people

Read this and DON'T CROSS-POST

Andr_yayo:
i’m open to new suggestions people

There are no doubt aspects of home security that aren’t covered (as BL says) so I think you need to do a good search to see what has been done then try to expand on that. I was just browsing Instructables, for instance: why not have a look there. Or browse the security company sites and trade mags and see what services they offer. Do a decent survey of the art, then think what you could do to make those services better… better meaning more feature rich, cheaper, faster, less prone to hacking, etc etc.

Of the top of my head though, I think it’s an over traded market and it might be hard to find something a) challenging and b) worthy of a degree.

you could invent a new movement sensor. The new aspect could be in the price or ease of installation or ...

Idea 0: the home security robot. (cc)

Imagine a roomba that knows all positions of things in the house (plan)
It checks all rooms if there are new things (==> e.g. legs of the burglar ?)
There is a lot to be said PRO and CON this idea => part of your report.

Idea 1: the home microphones (cc)

• listen to the sounds that are "normal" for the house and if new sounds appear that's the burglar
  • think Arduino is not the ideal processing platform

Idea 2: how about a security system that recognizes known people?

• RFID, NFC, implants? ...

Idea 3: The outside system

• recognize that people are entering your garden or driveway around the house by an XBEE network
    => with all kind of sensors connected to trees shrubs lawn etc

Idea 4: The neighbourhood system

• distributed home security system
  • connect laser beams between houses
  • detect movement in your street at nightly / unusual hours
  • recognize unknown cars in your street (all that live nearby have a transponder?)