final year project/thesis

I've searched the net and a lot of arduino based projects are available and I'm confused which of them should I try to make or is it student level of difficulty and I'm not sure how difficult/easy to make those projects. The main thing to consider for the project is that it should be feasible or it can be done within 4 -5 months and as much as possible the society can benefit from the project. Any of you guys have any suggestions? I know there are specific kind of arduino based projects but I can't really think of one because there are A LOT so any suggestion would really be great.

Perhaps start with a simpler project in the order of a week or so - you'll get a better idea of what you can and cannot achieve in a given timescale. Do you have any idea of the kind of application yet - if so think of something that could be a component of the final project (be in a particular sensor or whatever).

There are 12 year old kids making nice projects so student level difficulty is at least undefined. What study are you doing? EE or CS or anthropology? In the latter case I can imagine Arduino has a steep learning curve.

You should ask youself the question: What is fun to make? - - YouTube -
Or what would be great to have?

In the end it is not the question if you succeeded in making a project work, but that you acted, learned etc as a professional.
OK a working thing is the cream on the pie but not necessary,

Some suggestions:

• an umbrella advisor.
  • a golf stick advisor.
  • a monitoring system for feeding reptiles
  • an alcohol tester to start your car engine
  • a device that measures the difference in distance driven between the front and back wheel of your bike and. Note: this is one of natures constants
  • distance is an indication for wear.
  • a device that automates the loo, flushes , light on/off, warning signals for paper, etc
  • a basketball point counting system
  • a mousetrap
  • an alarmclock that wakes you earlier if the outside temperature is below freezing
  • an automatic page turner for the disabled

robtillaart:
There are 12 year old kids making nice projects so student level difficulty is at least undefined. What study are you doing? EE or CS or anthropology? In the latter case I can imagine Arduino has a steep learning curve.
You should ask youself the question: What is fun to make?
Or what would be great to have?
In the end it is not the question if you succeeded in making a project work, but that you acted, learned etc as a professional.
OK a working thing is the cream on the pie but not necessary,
Some suggestions:

• an umbrella advisor.
  • a golf stick advisor.
  • a monitoring system for feeding reptiles
  • an alcohol tester to start your car engine
  • a device that measures the difference in distance driven between the front and back wheel of your bike and. Note: this is one of natures constants
  • distance is an indication for wear.
  • a device that automates the loo, flushes , light on/off, warning signals for paper, etc
  • a basketball point counting system
  • a mousetrap
  • an alarmclock that wakes you earlier if the outside temperature is below freezing
  • an automatic page turner for the disabled

Thanks for the video. I watched it.
From your question -> What is fun to make? Just see my other reply of a post. :smiley:
I'm a Computer Engineering student with just of an average knowledge with this kind of stuff
I proposed this kind of project but for a dog but it was denied.
a monitoring system for feeding reptiles
I also proposed something like this and it was supposed to be controlled by an android device but still got denied.
a device that automates the loo, flushes , light on/off, warning signals for paper, etc
I would make this but this has already been made
- a basketball point counting system

MarkT:
Perhaps start with a simpler project in the order of a week or so - you'll get a better idea of what you can and cannot achieve in a given timescale. Do you have any idea of the kind of application yet - if so think of something that could be a component of the final project (be in a particular sensor or whatever).

Actually, I have something in mind. RC copters. Since I like them that was the first thing that came to my mind. My next obstacle is how do I make or should I say what do I add to that RC copter to make it stand out of the ordinary.

what do I add to that RC copter to make it stand out of the ordinary

Flamethrowers?

AWOL:

what do I add to that RC copter to make it stand out of the ordinary

Flamethrowers?

XD come'on.. give me a break..

A seed dispenser so it can fly a GPS waypoint course scattering seeds in a given pattern - come the spring you design makes itself visible!

MarkT:
A seed dispenser so it can fly a GPS waypoint course scattering seeds in a given pattern - come the spring you design makes itself visible!

I'll take that note. But, aren't seeds need to be placed in a specific way?

I have a knowledge in VB6 if it matters. For the meantime I'm sticking with the RC copter as my foundation of the project

You'd get more kudos points for something with a "medical" bias, that has a "useful" function, rather than yet another glorified toy. Say a heart rate datalogger or blood oxygen level recorder.

jackrae:
You'd get more kudos points for something with a "medical" bias, that has a "useful" function, rather than yet another glorified toy. Say a heart rate datalogger or blood oxygen level recorder.

That is a good suggestion, I like that idea. Heart rate datalogger, so obviously this will be used in hospitals right? Okay, it would be like a sensor to a specific arduino board then what next? I think my instructor would think it will be that easy.

Okay, it would be like a sensor to a specific arduino board then what next?

Collecting the data on a PC, in a database, and performing analysis on that data.

Collect other data, too, like when the person ate, what they ate, etc. Correlate that to the heart rate data.

Collect physical activity data. Perform correlation with heart rate.

There are any number of ways to extend the project.

Perhaps you could actually make something useful that people could wear. When they sit down to watch TV, start a timer. After a (short) period of time, begin urging them to get up and get active. After a longer (but not too long) period of time, turn the TV off, and nag louder and louder for them to get up and get moving. As the activity level increases, offer encouragement.

One problem people in wheel chairs have is that they develop sores due to sitting in the same place. This tends to be different for different shaped people. How about a project that monitors the pressure in many places in the wheel chair and maps the pressure points. This data can then be used to determine exactly how much padding and of what resistance to place around the chair in order to prevent these sores developing.

How about a project that monitors the pressure in many places in the wheel chair and maps the pressure points. This data can then be used to determine exactly how much padding and of what resistance to place around the chair in order to prevent these sores developing.

This is a great idea, but the problem is the constant pressure, no matter how evenly distributed.

You could take this idea one step farther, and create a seat that had a number of air bladders that you periodically raise and lower the pressure in, so that no one spot on the user's posterior experienced constant pressure.

PaulS:

How about a project that monitors the pressure in many places in the wheel chair and maps the pressure points. This data can then be used to determine exactly how much padding and of what resistance to place around the chair in order to prevent these sores developing.

This is a great idea, but the problem is the constant pressure, no matter how evenly distributed.

You could take this idea one step farther, and create a seat that had a number of air bladders that you periodically raise and lower the pressure in, so that no one spot on the user's posterior experienced constant pressure.

Kinda like a reverse acting whoopie cushion!

MarkT:

That sucks more than a microbiology project of growing germs for a month. At least if the germs all die you lose one month, not a whole year :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

OP, I hope you have good physics and mechanical skills cause a copter is not just a computer engineering project anymore. If you have particular interests in certain sensors and actuators, post a list. Someone may be able to come up with something.

A useless invention could have just as high engineering skills. | DESIGNBOOM

Could have an arduino with a load of LDR's on top and have it use the sun to tell time.

Make a Blu-ray cheese slice singles opener.

Make a multi-touch pad with the arduino that a PC can interface like a mouse.

PaulS:

Okay, it would be like a sensor to a specific arduino board then what next?

Collecting the data on a PC, in a database, and performing analysis on that data.
Collect other data, too, like when the person ate, what they ate, etc. Correlate that to the heart rate data.
Collect physical activity data. Perform correlation with heart rate.
There are any number of ways to extend the project.
Perhaps you could actually make something useful that people could wear. When they sit down to watch TV, start a timer. After a (short) period of time, begin urging them to get up and get active. After a longer (but not too long) period of time, turn the TV off, and nag louder and louder for them to get up and get moving. As the activity level increases, offer encouragement.

My idea of this was to detect if the patient in the room was having a heart failure or having some sort of attack then either the pulse rate goes down or goes up it would send a signal to a computer notifying which room and which patient. But then, in our hospitals there are buzzers that a patient can press when something goes wrong and the thing they called watchers.

People could wear? How about an jog logger? Like a pulse sensor and a distance mapper [it calculates the distance you traveled] and connect it to an android device. Is that possible?

Grumpy_Mike:
One problem people in wheel chairs have is that they develop sores due to sitting in the same place. This tends to be different for different shaped people. How about a project that monitors the pressure in many places in the wheel chair and maps the pressure points. This data can then be used to determine exactly how much padding and of what resistance to place around the chair in order to prevent these sores developing.

So it would like placing pressure sensors in parts of the seats? And depending where part of the seat has the most pressure it will level the padding on the seat?

liudr:

MarkT:

That sucks more than a microbiology project of growing germs for a month. At least if the germs all die you lose one month, not a whole year :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:
OP, I hope you have good physics and mechanical skills cause a copter is not just a computer engineering project anymore. If you have particular interests in certain sensors and actuators, post a list. Someone may be able to come up with something.

I hear you, going that route would be a bit rough though but I don't have any other in mind as of this moment.
Actually I found a sensor in mind that I could use with the idea jog logger:

You should probably stick to the ground unless you are pretty familiar with the arduino interface, rc copters and such. just saying

So it would like placing pressure sensors in parts of the seats?

Yes, more like all over the seat to get a pressure map. As sort of 2D pressure image. The better the resolution the greater the challenge.

Grumpy_Mike:

So it would like placing pressure sensors in parts of the seats?

Yes, more like all over the seat to get a pressure map. As sort of 2D pressure image. The better the resolution the greater the challenge.

If you take on a project like this, go talk to someone (or more than one person) in a wheel chair. Take a close look at the chair. Pay attention to the wear points on the chair. Look at maintenance issues with the chair. How is it cleaned/replaced when worn, etc. Make sure that your addition to the chair can be cleaned/removed for cleaning/etc.

Nothing worse that an add-on that makes the thing that it is added to less usable.

For a prrof-of-concept/learning experience, of course, that need not necessarily apply, but you should be sure to document the changes that would be needed between the proof-of-concept model and the production model, as best you can.