Finding an IC that cycles 8 outputs using a single input

I need to find an IC that when I pulse an input it switches on the next, of 8, output. For example when output 7 is High and I pulse the input it turns output 7 to Low and output 8 High, next pulse it turns output 8 Low and output 1 High, and so on.

I intend to use this as part of an LED matrix which uses Shift Registers to drive the columns and the IC described above to drive the rows. That way I send the Shift Registers new data via SPI then use the latch pin to simultaneously commit that data and switch to the next row.

Cheers!

CD4017 will do the job. Read the datasheets and the many examples yhat you'll find on google.

Cheers, Ale.

I don't think you want to play Rusian Roulette. The 4017 is just a counter. It steps to the next output with every clock pulse. You have no control over which output is high.

I think you want a BCD to octal decoder. Like the 4028. Leo..

What you describe IS a shift register. The SN74HC595 will do the job, with some extra logic to set just one bit.

jremington: What you describe IS a shift register. The SN74HC595 will do the job, with some extra logic to set just one bit.

I agree with you that what he need is a shift register, but what he describe it's not a shift register :

I need to find an IC that when I pulse an input it switches on the next, of 8, output.

but a counter.

Cheers, Ale.

Ale, the point is that a shift register can do that, and it can be daisy chained to the other shift registers so no more Arduino outputs are used.

Wawa had it right you need this https://www.onsemi.com/pub/Collateral/MC14028B-D.PDF

But that does use several outputs. Otherwise you need to make a ring counter out of resettable binary counters and a logic gate.

Grumpy_Mike: Otherwise you need to make a ring counter out of resettable binary counters and a logic gate.

Which is in fact, exactly what a 74HC4017 is.

Wawa: The 4017 is just a counter. It steps to the next output with every clock pulse. You have no control over which output is high.

Ah, but we are using a microcontroller. We have perfect control over which output is high, because we reset it to start with and the zero output is high. We can do exactly the same using a shift register by clocking in a one to start with, then subsequent zeros.

My concern however, is with the inability of a 74HC4017 alone to drive a matrix with sufficient current since it would be the "strobe" driver and need to power up to 8 LEDs at a time. TPIC6B595s would be more suited, but why not do the job properly and use a MAX7219 which is designed to do the whole task for you in one IC?