Finding the right Arduino for quadruped robot

Just finished my quad and would now like to make a small Quadruped walker using 12 servos and a transmitter to control movement. Can someone help me find the right Arduino controller. Must be able to use UART to program. (my computers will NOT recognize FTDI devices)

I also need to know how to wire the servos ( and which order ) to the board along with how to wire the board to my RC reciever.

Any help would be appreciated.

Duhjoker: my computers will NOT recognise FTDI devices

And why might that be?

I have no idea. But neither I nor Silabs could figure it out. Down loaded drivers checked the chips on mprog3.5 and a few other things but no go.

So you are saying that you have had problems with "FTDI" USB devices on an otherwise functional USB port.

Are you aware of the FTDI problem? (Note particularly the top link there.)

{Somebody here will get upset if I suggest you could best use CH340 chips instead. :roll_eyes: }

Correction:: not Silabs but FTDI. Yes I am aware of the FTDI bricking problem. I have bought several different name brand devices including a HK 328p dms2/FTDI. Nothing works. Like I said we tried to Mprog3.5 to see if the chips were bricked and un-brick them and a few other things as suggested by FTDI.

Duhjoker: Just finished my quad and would now like to make a small Quadruped walker using 12 servos and a transmitter to control movement. Can someone help me find the right Arduino controller. Must be able to use UART to program. (my computers will NOT recognize FTDI devices)

I also need to know how to wire the servos ( and which order ) to the board along with how to wire the board to my RC reciever.

Any help would be appreciated.

When you get the interface problem squared away, The UNO could be plenty (re-assign analogs A0 to A5 as Outputs 19-24, which should give you 6 more digital I/O's (Someone please jump in, and correct if I'm guessing wrong #'s, I don't have my notes in front of me here at the Library.) Otherwise, you can more than can use a MEGA1280 as the brains. (all of the higher digital I/O's are addressable for servo.##### ) I'm working on one myself, but only using 8 servos. (2 to each leg, simple body wobble to place next step.) but it's been shelved, til I can get financially back on my feet. I haven't even gotten into the code yet.

I ran across a few Kits on a popular auction site claiming they just need a battery. The kits come with the frame and servos but also come with a 24-32 pin controller with an added PS2 controller and reciever. I think I might buy one of these controller bundles to add to my quad bot.

What do you suppose the battery requirements would be for 12X 9g servos. I would like at least 10 minutes of playtime.

Still not sure whether you are saying just the FTDI won't work, or whether CH340s do or do not work, as they are certainly readily available, as well as the other chipset(s).

And for that matter, what about working under Mint? (Or other generic Linux?)

i don’t want to be rude but I’m really getting sick of having to explain to everybody this problem. I’m not worried about it, there plenty of bridge devices that can be used instead of the ones that carry FTDI chips. FTDI chips and anything using them WILL NOT be recognized by my computers. Period.

I looked up the ch340 chips and have no idea if they will work since nobody has ever pointed it out to me. What I can tell you is the CP2102 chips do work with my computers.

What I would like to talk about is servo controllers to operate a servo robot.

give this a look: http://www.robotshop.com/en/motor-controllers.html

Duhjoker:
What I can tell you is the CP2102 chips do work with my computers.

Which is to say then, that there is no problem with programming via the USB port. You can either use a Pro Mini with an adapter using the CP2102, or a UNO which does not contain an FTDI chip. There are some arguments for using a (Leonardo) Pro Micro, though it could be a little more tricky.

Duhjoker:
What I would like to talk about is servo controllers to operate a servo robot.

Well, the nature of servos is to each require a 1 to 2 ms pulse every 20 ms or so, so if you have sufficient pins, that should not be too difficult to arrange in software.

If you want it even easier, a 74HC4017 will drive nine servos for you with only two Arduino pins. You could use two of them, each driving six servos and interfaced by three pins in total, to execute a complete servo pulse sequence in no more than 12 ms, leaving you a minimum of 8 ms to perform the remainder of your processing.

In a not-unusual manner for noobees, OP has 2 threads going at the same time discussing the same stuff.

I didn't see an obvious other one oric_dan.

{Somebody here will get upset if I suggest you could best use CH340 chips instead. :roll_eyes: }

You can suggest other chips, just don't badmouth FTDI's FT232 while you do it.

CrossRoads: I didn't see an obvious other one oric_dan.

The present one kind of got side-tracked away from the origin topic, and which is now again converging with http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=323706.0 So, whatever you think.

Sorry guys switch to other thread listed by Oric_dan on page one please.