Fingerprint sensor with arduino

I want to use Biometric Security for my 'netbeans java project' for login purpose. I think fingerprint sensor compatible to Arduino can be easily accessible by the java project. I want to know that can I connect the input from sensor and take it to the netbeans project? should I use COM port for that? Where is the saved fingerprints get stored? please help me in this, I am going to use it in my college project.

Where is the saved fingerprints get stored?

In the fingerprint reader.

thanks for reply mike. I also want to know something about its connection with my java project. Does the scanner makes a hexadecimal code for each specific fingerprint?

I am thinking to send the data via Arduino to com port and from there my java project will fetch it and use it in login system. Is that can be done? Or for this I have to use any third party application?

Does the scanner makes a hexadecimal code for each specific fingerprint

Yes it makes a template of an enrolled fingerprint and then when a new finger is presented the fingerprint module does the testing and sends a yes / no report back to the Arduino. You then need to signal that back to your PC, normally through serial.
You don't send the actual fingerprint anywhere.

Thanks a lot mike.