Fio and the reset button

Hello, As many threads I've read this one also starts with : I have a problem with my Arduino Fio board...

I'm on osx 10.8.5, with Sparkfun FT232R Breakout board, and Arduino fio from sparkfun.

I can only upload sketches when I press the reset button right before uploading. Is there anyway around this?

I have found the "reset trick" on this forum (http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php/topic,27715.0.html) several times, but I can't seem to find a solution to this, can anyone help me?

Thanks in advance!

Dear Kevin,

How are you? I was wondering, whether you solved your upload problem on the Fio board. I'm also on Mac OS X 10.8.5 and try to power an Arduino Fio. My problem is, that when I hook up the Fio on the USB, no usbmodem Serial Port shows up, in difference to say the Arduino Uno, where upload is working fine. I use the blink sketch for upload test. The response from the IDE upload is the following: avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding.

I tried removing and re-installing the FTDI USBSerialDriver a few times, but to no avail, upload still fails and no Serial Port is showing up. If you have any suggestions, or could tell me whether you have a usbmodem or not, would already be of great help to me. thank you so much for your time and concern.

kind regards

Daniel

Hi Daniel,

Just a few questions, to make sure we're on the same page... Are you plugging the fio straight into a usb port? Cause the fio's port is only for charging its battery... I use this : https://www.sparkfun.com/products/718 But there are many others around.

I'm assuming you are using an ftdi board, does it show up in your /dev? (open terminal and type : ls -las /dev/ or ls -las /dev/ | grep usb)

I am only a beginner myself, but I'd gladly help if I can...

Kind regards!

Dear Kevin,

Thank You indeed for your most helpful correspondance. I’ve gotten underway and entirely by my own mistake didn’t realize that the Arduino Fio needs this FTDI breakout board or alternatively and FTDI Cable. I went with this product now: FTDI Basic Breakout - 3.3V, on https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9873, instead of the Breakout Board for FT232RL USB to Serial that you suggested, only because I didn’t feel so adventurous, re-soldering the board for 3.3V operation. I hope it will work.
Of course now I am awaiting shipment first and then I see if questions like this, “The pinout of this board matches the FTDI cable - What cable?” resolves in the matter of finally getting hands-on with my project.
But so much thank you dear Kevin, also for the command line code you submitted, I’ll gladly check that out when I hook up to Fio via the break out board/FTDI Cable. What type or kind of cable do you use by chance, if I may ask?

Kind Regards,

Daniel

Hi, Daniel, So glad I can be the one giving advise for once! The soldering iron, you must fear not! Your best friend it will become! The only other cable you will need is a mini (not micro) USB cable.

Hope it all works out, and if you ever find the answer to my original question posted above please do tell...

Take care!