Firmata in Arduino Due

Hi users;

I'm doing tests with the Arduino Due and I'm trying to apply the Firmata protocol.

As I could have read, the Firmata library implements the Firmata protocol for communicating with software on the host computer. This allows you to write custom firmware without having to create your own protocol and objects for the programming environment that you are using.

I want to test if you can apply the Firmata protocol for the Arduino Due.
For this I am using the StandardFirmata example that is in the library of Firmata.

I have seen different examples used with the Arduino Uno:

[1]. Arduino Uno & Firmata protocol - YouTube
[2]. Firmata protocol arduino in 4 minutes - YouTube
[3]. TUTORIAL DE FIRMATA TEST ARDUINO - YouTube

In the reference videos taken, a file "firmata test" is downloaded to be able to make tests.
As you can see, thanks to that file, every element that is connected to a specific pin is controlled.

But in the case of Arduino Due, I can not do it following the same procedure. It does not work for me, it does not read the port.

I am trying to apply the StandardFirmata example for the Arduino Due but I do not get it.
I have been informing myself and looking for information from all sides, but I can not find a solution.
I do not know how to do tests and apply the example of StandardFirmata for the Arduino Due.

in this situation, I would really appreciate your help really, since I have reached a point where I am stuck.

Thank you.

Kind regards.

Xirimiri:
It does not work for me, it does not read the port.

That's a very vague statement. What exactly do you mean by "it does not read the port"?

After selecting the correct port from the Firmata Test program's Port menu, I needed to press the reset button on my Due before the interface appeared. After that it worked fine.

By default, the Arduino Firmata library uses Serial. This means you need to connect the Due to your computer via the Due's Programming Port, not the Due's Native USB Port. You can configure the library to use the Native USB Port if you prefer, but I think it's best to just use the Programming Port for now.

For anyone else looking into this, I should add a link to where you can download the Firmata Test program, since it was unnecessarily difficult for me to find it:
http://www.firmata.org/wiki/Main_Page#Firmata_Test_Program

I took the references of the indicated videos.

As shown in the videos, where the Arduino Uno is used, the example of StandardFirmata is loaded on the Arduino and then the Firmata Test file is opened.

When you open the Firmata Test file, you choose the port where the Arduino is located and then, the ports appear in the Firmata Test software.

When I do the tests with the Arduino Due, I follow the same steps but I can not do it.

I charge the example of StandardFirmata in the Arduino Due, and once loaded to the board, using the Due┬┤s Programming Port, I open the Firmata Test software, and nothing appears in the software.
It appears empty, without the icons to control the pins.
The content of the Firmata Test software is empty.

Did you press the reset button on the Due as I told you to in my previous reply??

In principle, the procedure to be followed is the same as for the Arduino Uno, as in the videos mentioned.

Do not do anything else.

I have not had time to try it, I'll try it tomorrow and when I try it, I'll tell you the result.

The procedure that would have to follow, would be, load the example of StandardFirmata in the Arduino Due, and then press the reset button, and not the erase. Once this is done, open the Firmata Test software and from there, the Firmata Test should work and be able to control the different pins with the software.

is it like that?

Xirimiri:
The procedure that would have to follow, would be, load the example of StandardFirmata in the Arduino Due, and then press the reset button, and not the erase. Once this is done, open the Firmata Test software and from there, the Firmata Test should work and be able to control the different pins with the software.

is it like that?

Not quite. Here is the procedure that works fine for me with Firmata on my Due:

• Connect the Due to your computer using the Programming port.
  • Upload the StandardFirmata example sketch to your Due.
  • Start the Firmata Test software.
  • Select the Due's port from the Firmata Test software's Port menu.
  • Press the reset button on the Due.

Note that you need to press the reset button after the Firmata Test software is running and configured correctly.

Before I press the reset button, the Firmata Test software's window is empty. Shortly after pressing the reset button, the Firmata Test software's window is populated with the control interface for the Due's pins.

Thank you.

I have been able to achieve it by following exactly your instructions.

I really appreciate your help.

You're welcome. I'm glad to hear it's working now. Enjoy!
Per

Thank you very much for your help.

So, once Firmata Test software is opened, I will be able to control through the software of Firmata Test, all the elements that are connected to said pins of the Arduino Due.

Yes. It allows you to write to or read from any pin.