Firmata

Hi:

Unfortunately I'm new to this and most of the things written here assume previous knowledge I don't have.

I need help with this:

I'm trying to use Firmata. The installation reads this:

"1.Unzip the library and copy the "arduino" folder into the "libraries" sub-folder of your Processing Sketchbook."

Where is this "libraries subfolder of my processing sketch book"?

I already have Processing installed.

Also:

"(You can find the location of your Sketchbook by opening the Processing Preferences" Where are those Processing Preferences? How do I do that?

Also:

"If you haven't made a "libraries" sub-folder, create one.) " Really? Where? how?

Sorry; but I need help Thanks

The installation reads this:

A link would be a lot more useful. We don't know from what you quoted whether the source is reliable or not. I'd say not from what you posted.

"(You can find the location of your Sketchbook by opening the Processing Preferences"

Should say "using File + Preferences".

"If you haven't made a "libraries" sub-folder, create one.) " Really? Where? how?

Yes. Where you are supposed to. Give me a break. Do you really need to be told how to create a folder? If so, what OS?

Hi:

Thanks. I alreay found how to find preferences and the location and created the folder libraries. Of course, I know how to create a folder, what i did not know was where.

I did all that and pasted the arduino folder into the libraries subfolder I created in my sketchbook folder.

Thanks, Adrian

Here is where I'm reading: http://www.arduino.cc/playground/Interfacing/Processing Thanks, Adrian

I did all that and pasted the arduino folder into the libraries subfolder I created in my sketchbook folder.

And? Are you now able to operate the Arduino from Processing?

Hi:

Unfortunately not. When trying to run the Processing sketch from here (http://www.arduino.cc/playground/Interfacing/Processing) I'm getting an error message at the bottom saying:

"The package cc. does not exist. You must be missing a library."

Obviously I did not copied the Arduino library in the Processing sketchbook libraries subfolder I created correctly or the subfolder is in the wrong place. All this might be trivial for people with experience; but for me it's completely new... I'm reading from the link I posted and it's not clear for a me how to do all that.

I will try to do it again when I find answers to this questions.

1-Do I have to paste the whole Adruino Folder after unzziped or open it and paste the file Arduino?. I've tried both with no luck. 2-Do I create the subfolder "libraries" in the same folder where my sketchbook is?

This is my first trial at Firmata and pretty new to Arduino and its possibilities. So far, I have written a control program working fine in the Arduino Board. I can give orders to Arduino by depressing keys in a keyboard I implemented for it. Now, I want to give these orders from the computer and return data from sensors to it. I want to use Firmata for that.

Please help. Thanks, Adrian

Obviously I did not copied the Arduino library in the Processing sketchbook libraries subfolder I created correctly or the subfolder is in the wrong place. All this might be trivial for people with experience; but for me it's completely new... I'm reading from the link I posted and it's not clear for a me how to do all that.

Might be obvious to you, but not to me. Show us some screen shots showing where you put the library. Perhaps it is in the wrong place. Perhaps not.

I want to use Firmata for that.

Why? Wouldn't it be easier to keep your existing protocol, and adapt the PC code to use that? Firmata feels more, to me, like a proof-of-concept. Maintenance and improvements don't seem to be happening. Certainly no one ever comes here saying that they know how to deal with an issue, or that the issue will be addressed in a future release.

"...Certainly no one ever comes here saying that they know how to deal with an issue, or that the issue will be addressed in a future release..."

I never said I know anything... That's why I'm posting here to try to learn from those who know and have the patience to teach.

I realized now Firmata is not what I want. This is completely new to me and I have no idea what is for what and what does what I need. I have taken a recess from here to study Processing.

I never said I know anything...

I was not referring to you. I meant that no one from the Firmata camp ever pokes their nose in here to talk about it.

Oh, Ok. Sorry.

Hi:

This is what I want and you will probably be able to help me.

I'm new to Arduino. This is my first project I and know little or nothing about all this. My main problem is that I know what I want to do; but I don't know what tools I can use to solve the problems as I don't know what tools are outthere.

I want to:

-Write a software in my computer to process data storaged on it from other sources. I did that already using Small Basic. It's working. -Write an Arduino sketch to control a process (robot) outside. I did this already and it's working. Arduino is controlling my robot by itself the way I want it. -Itegrate both things, so I can give orders to Arduino and receive data from it and use that data in my main Software. So far, I'm controlling Arduino with a dedicated keyboard for it and logging in data from Arduino using Gobetwino. I don't want it that way as Gobetwino creates a log file in another location and I will have to read it and so on. Actually I don't need to store the data, but just use it right away in my soft when Arduino sends it.

I haven't found a serial communication library for Small Basic, thus I decided to rewrite my soft in Processing for what I'm studying it and have most of my main soft already rewritten in Pricessing. I'm doing it because Processing have a Serial Comm library and I hope I will be able to use it.

This is where I need your help. Is this the right approach? Will Processing be the tool I need? If not please tell me how can I do all that. What do I need to use and which softwares do I need to study to integrate all this?.

Thanks, Adrian

Is this the right approach? Will Processing be the tool I need?

It can be. If you are able to collect the data from the PC, and send it to the serial port, then it is.

Reading and writing from the serial port, in Processing or on the Arduino, is easy, once you understand what data is being sent back and forth and how serial data is sent (one byte or character at a time).

Using delimiters and sending data in the correct format (ASCII or binary) is up to you to do correctly.

If you provided some examples of the kind of data that the PC should send to the Arduino, and the kinds of data that the Arduino should send to the PC, then we can provide more help.

Hi:

Finally, yesterday I could communicate Arduino with my main program (in Processing) and it's working fine. Procesing is the tool I was looking for. Firmata was not what I needed and I got distracted with it. Now I'm focused on what I should have been: Processing, which by the way, is a very powerful tool not only for communication; but also to develop the main program.

I'm sending orders to Arduino through a screen keyboard (in Processing) so it executes them and I'm receiving data back from it which I'm displaying on the screen using the serial comm capabilities of Processing. Processing Serial Comm is awsome...

It all looked extremely complicated at the beginning; but now everything looks more clear to me as the smoke of ignorance disipates. Still need way more time studying Processing to be able to use it to the fullest; but I'm excited with it.

Thanks, Adrian

It all looked extremely complicated at the beginning; but now everything looks more clear to me as the smoke of ignorance disipates. Still need way more time studying Processing to be able to use it to the fullest; but I'm excited with it.

Most excellent. There are a number of us with at least passing familiarity with Processing, if you get stuck at any point.