First ever PCB Design

https://www.electronics-notes.com/articles/constructional_techniques/printed-circuit-board-pcb/pcb-manufacturing-process.php

"In order to make a PCB with tracks for the components, copper clad board is first obtained. This consists of the substrate material, typically FR4, with copper cladding normally on both sides. This copper cladding consists of a thin layer of copper sheet bonded to the board. This bonding is normally very good for FR4, but the very nature of PTFE makes this more difficult, and this adds difficulty to the processing of PTFE PCBs"

CrossRoads:
PCB Manufacture: How are PCBs Made » Electronics Notes

"In order to make a PCB with tracks for the components, copper clad board is first obtained. This consists of the substrate material, typically FR4, with copper cladding normally on both sides. This copper cladding consists of a thin layer of copper sheet bonded to the board. This bonding is normally very good for FR4, but the very nature of PTFE makes this more difficult, and this adds difficulty to the processing of PTFE PCBs"

Correct.

I have never seen them start with a bare board. Even multi layer boards (eg 4 layer) are started with 2 double sided boards the tracks etched on to both sides then bonded with a layer of epoxy with or without fibreglass. Odd number of layers is different.

You have purchased a blank PCB, loaded with copper.
You are paying someone to remove that copper, which you purchased.

Probably you are also paying them to dispose of the removed copper (that you paid for) as "hazmat chemicals." (Or perhaps not: "Just dump it in the river; it'll be fine!") Leaving more of the copper on the board (as ground plane) is therefore more ecologically minded.

But mostly you're paying for a lot of big, expensive, equipment that drills, plots, plates copper, etches, plots so more, and some more, plates solder, cuts, and ships to you. The fact that you can do that for about $25 for about a square foot of PCBs is pretty amazing...

Hello! Have you tried https://easyeda.com/?

They correct the PCB you make.

Also, could print text and graphics in the PCB, and can select a variety of nice colours, I make a couple of guitar effects in black and redm with the Rolling Stones tongue and Van Halen logo and strips.

Thanks to everyone for their contributions ... Im still working on that new revision but don't find enough spare time atm.

Westfw is stating a very important point (to me that is). I am going to make sure to research the publicly available information (I know that this might not reflect the truth :wink: ) on manufacturers and ther practices before chosing one. Pointing me in the right direction with all your information on manufacturing processes helps a ton. TY!

Hello Everyone

I am done with the latest revision. Thanks for all the help. I implemented all your inputs. The pcb got downsized quite a bit. I found nice and better fitting prefab 7segs (driver incl.). Will probably fab @ eurocircuits. Before sending it in I will let this sit for another week in case of last minute ideas.

TY

Mounting holes close to edges, suggest you move the two mounting holes away from the corner a bit more.

Yes, my mechanical ing. spidy senses were tingling ... some are still in the template postion for kidcad arduino extensions. I will move them!

Seems OK... let's try!!