First LED project help

I would like to shoot an idea over to you for some advice and direction.
There is a subway station in NYC with LED lights on the ceiling (i included links below) I am thinking I would like to try and make a similar design on the ceiling of the media room in my house, though i would like it to be sound activated. and i would like to be able to preset custom functions and programs for the lights to do to the music.

my Idea for the project 8-10 inch LED bars in honeycomb shape and each honey comb to be controlled or programmed separately and in sync with others. some programming i would like to do would be chase, lights chase eachother around each honey comb and also throughout the whole display. then maybe have each honeycomb chase eachother. have each honeycomb have a changing color gradient on its own and also a full display gradient change. basically each honeycomb would work on its own controller but they all would work together to get the desired effects. and then also basic strobe and fade features which i can program the strobes.

I am not sure if i am making a whole lot of sense, but think of it as if you are doing LED lighting for a nightclub and want all different programs to the music.

so my main question to you would be, do i create the LED bars myself or buy pre made ones, and what should i use to control them?

Yes perfectly possible with an arduino.
You can buy LED strips either a single colour or as an RGB strip. eBay has lots of them.
As for the control it depends on the type of strip. There are two sorts, those you turn on all at once, these need 12V and should be driven by a transistor or FET. The other sort you pump data into from the arduino and you can control individual LEDs in the strip.

Grumpy_Mike:
Yes perfectly possible with an arduino.
You can buy LED strips either a single colour or as an RGB strip. eBay has lots of them.
As for the control it depends on the type of strip. There are two sorts, those you turn on all at once, these need 12V and should be driven by a transistor or FET. The other sort you pump data into from the arduino and you can control individual LEDs in the strip.

awesome thanks mike!! i want the strips that i can control individually!! is there a certain name for those strips? i dont want to buy the wrong ones.

is there a certain name for those strips?

Not specifically.
However the term 'individually addressable' is often used in conjunction with the strips of the type you want.