First Project- Automated Fireworks

Hello Arduino community.

For the Fourth of July this year, I thought I would program my arduino uno to ignite fireworks for me with music playing. I have a basic plan, but as this is my first project, I would love guidance!

Each firework will have its own igniter made from steel wool. Wires will run back to the arduino and a battery in a fireproof box. All of the igniters will be connected to relays which are then triggered through shift registers connected to the arduino.

Can anyone foresee problems with this? I am beginning to work on building igniters and testing the ignition system, I will come back for more guidance if I run into any problems.

Can anyone foresee problems with this?

A visit from Homeland Security?

BTW, this is your second project http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=151350.msg1136417#msg1136417

It sounds like a fun project, but if your goal is to light the fireworks rather than play with electronics then I wonder whether the electronic solution is worthwhile. Isn't the traditional approach just a line of nails with wires wrapped around them? Unless you're going to calculate the burn time of each individual fuse, I doubt there's much point trying to be more precise about the timing than just lighting them at regular intervals, which you can do with a nail board without any cost, complexity or worries about whether it's actually going to work on the night.

mikechaf: Can anyone foresee problems with this?

Final testing? (Unless you plan to use more than one set of fireworks.)

I have done this before on previous years, and have came across several problems. One of them is that steel wool only works if there is sufficient air present. It also is not easy to attach to the fuse. Try using a piece of nichrome wire wrapped around the fuse, alhough you will need lots of current. Another problem is that your firing code cannot have any bugs that might cause accidental ignition. If you are using a radio interface, it helps to triple-check for a firing signal before executing the ignition command.

In the "old days", one would use a uniselector. .

The original multiplexer.

Paul__B: In the "old days", one would use a uniselector. The original multiplexer.

I've one of them somewhere in my attic. Old PO telephones Strowger gear that worked on 48V DC.

arduinorgb: Try using a piece of nichrome wire wrapped around the fuse, alhough you will need lots of current.

A single, copper strand from a stranded wire (like a typical appliance cord) works well too. Just loop the thin wire over the head of a paper match and it'll work pretty reliably. A D cell will ignite it at short distances.