First project Feasibility

Good evening all,

Just wondering if you knowledgeable lot could possibly advise or guide me on my first Arduino project.
Here is what i intend to do:

Have a small colour display mounted in a machine panel, this machine will not be powered up all the time so when it is powered up, I want the display to show the machine manufacturers logo.
Now the slightly harder part …
I would also like the display (or text) to turn red and show the following message ‘Over Pressure’, when an excess pressure is felt on a certain pneumatic circuit, obviously here i would need a pressure sensor of some sort.

I already have an Arduino Mega, but as of yet not purchased anything else until i sought advice from more knowledgeable people.

So if anyone can advise me on the best way of doing the above (Program/script & hardware), that would be appreciated.

Thank you

pressure sensor
color oled display

get the color oled from yourduino or adafruit and get their matching library.

I have not tried it myself but this AWind Thread caught my attention some time ago.

...R

Thank you both for the quick replies !

Well I've got all the kit so far, so it's time to get it all together.

Ended up with one of these displays from Maplin:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/touch-screen-shield-for-arduino-n10dp

And have got it to display the image i wanted (But mirrored / backwards ?) - So some basic teething problems, that i have not figured out yet.

I also need to figure out a way of going from the image (using a timer or input for a specific pin ???), to make it change to the pressure display.

Any further advice greatly received !! :slight_smile:

Minimad5:
Any further advice greatly received !! :slight_smile:

You need to provide more information - such as your program code - and some specific questions.

...R

Please see attached script i am using to display a start-up and logo bitmap image.

I can get the screen to display both images, problem being this:

It shows the “STARTup.bmp” image, then quickly displays the next image, this being “LOGO.bmp”. And continues to loop and display both images, which is not what i need.

I need a way of it displaying the start-up image (Which just says “Reset Safety Circuit”) until a solenoid is energised, then go into it’s ‘idle’ state and display the machine logo image.
Until an Over Pressure fault is sensed, in which it then needs to display ‘Over Pressure’, then go back to it’s idle state (machine logo) once the pressure has been reset.

I know physically from the machine side, how i can use relays to send a momentary or if required constant +5v feed to the Arduino, which could be used as a way of telling it ‘change image’ from Startup to Logo.

Just not sure on the Arduino side of things, how to write a script for that / where to give it the feed of +5V, and if it’s even possible to also add on the pressure sensor with all that already going on.

Sorry for the long winded article / question, just never done anything with these & strangely struggling to get my head around the script side of things.

Thank you

arduino website machine.txt (4.16 KB)

I’m guessing that it is the following line that causes it to iterate through the images with a 500 millisec delay between them.

for (unsigned char i = 0; i < 3; i++)

Why not just have it display one image?

…R

Robin2:
I'm guessing that it is the following line that causes it to iterate through the images with a 500 millisec delay between them.

for (unsigned char i = 0; i < 3; i++)

Why not just have it display one image?

...R

I could just have it display the Logo picture, but since i've started the project i thought i would have it display the Start-up one too, as this helps the machine operator (Saves them calling out someone to check the machine, for not doing what it says 'Reset Safety Circuit')

Minimad5:
I could just have it display the Logo picture, but since i've started the project i thought i would have it display the Start-up one too, as this helps the machine operator (Saves them calling out someone to check the machine, for not doing what it says 'Reset Safety Circuit')

I thought your problem is that it displays the images at the wrong time. I did not mean that you only show one image, but rather that you don't use a FOR loop to cycle through 3 of them.

Have a variable to keep track of the state of the system and show the image that is appropriate for the state.

...R

Robin2, great reply BUT - how do i do that ?
As i'm sure you can see from my previous posts, i require some guidance here.

Suppose your system has three states - startup, prepareToOperate and operate (s, p and o),

The you could have code like

void displayImage() {
   if (sysState == 's') {
      // display image 1
   }
   else if sysState == 'p') {
     // display image 2
   }
   else {
     // display image 3
   }
}

The value in the variable sysState would change depending on other activities that I am not aware of.

...R