First project: Water temperature logger

Hi,

I am a new user here and I really look forward to participate in this forum! I am going to start my first Arduino project (hobby, not school related) and I am looking for some pointers to get started as I am sure what I hope to accomplish has been done by many before.

My goal is to create an Arduino based unit that can be used for logging water temperature from a sensor over a long period of time and when paired up with an iOS device, every week or so, dump the results over Bluetooth to the iOS device. I know how to code in both C++ and Swift (for iOS). But where do I get started with this in terms of Arduino, drivers, and sensors? Any similar projects in here? What Arduino unit would be best to get? What libraries would be best to download (for Arduino and for Xcode in macOSX).

Thank you in advance!!

Search for DS18B20 and Arduino. There are waterproof versions of the sensor. That should get you started.

Look at the BLE nano 33s too.

amaruk:
Any similar projects in here?

I guess about ten million.

While any Arduino is up to the job, you are very likely to grow out of a Uno or the like when doing this sort of thing, so you might as well start with a Mega.

bildr Do You Have The Time? DS1307 RT Clock + Arduino - bildr (works with ds3231)
http://www.hacktronics.com/Tutorials/arduino-1-wire-tutorial.html
One or more DS18B20 temperature sensors on Arduino- ar3ne1tt2.htm
https://engineersportal.com/blog/2018/10/31/sending-arduino-data-to-ios-iphoneipad-using-blexar-bluetooth-app

If you decide on WiFi, you might consider a NodeMCU or Heltec ESP32 instead of Arduino

Awesome! Thanks for the quick heads-up on this. I will read up on your suggestions and get started. Glad that hear that my project has been done many times before. Thanks again!

I forgot to point out that the reason for getting a Mega is because the extra memory more than the extra pins. The non-Arduino options bring their own qualities and also have plenty of memory.

Nick_Pyner:
I forgot to point out that the reason for getting a Mega is because the extra memory more than the extra pins. The non-Arduino options bring their own qualities and also have plenty of memory.

I understood that you referred to the memory aspect as I had looked up the specs. Thanks for the clarification. Yes, as a beginner I don't think I want to start with anything non-Arduino. Seen some negative reviews on some cheap units. Thanks again!

The non-Arduino devices I alluded to use the Arduino IDE. I only mention them in passing but, if you want WiFi, you would need some pretty serious motivation to pass them up.

Nick_Pyner:
The non-Arduino devices I alluded to use the Arduino IDE. I only mention them in passing but, if you want WiFi, you would need some pretty serious motivation to pass them up.

What uses less power, WiFi or Bluetooth? What is easier from a developer stand-point if you want to get started? I don't need constant connection. I just want to walk by it once a week and take a dump of data so the reach of Bluetooth would be fine. But if it is a power hog or more complicated, I will look into WiFi. Thanks!

Even plain-vanilla HC-05 Bluetooth is more frugal than WiFi. Bluetooth requires virtually no programming, indeed it is possible to get by with nothing more than that required to print the data to the serial monitor. What you describe is more or less what I do - stand nearby and watch a graph on the phone or send a filedate and download that for subsequent transfer to Excel. If you only have one file on the SD, you could send it in response to a pushbutton, thereby absolving you from sending any command from the phone.

You could send data via Bluetooth direct to Excel thereby getting live graphs there. I don't know if that is possible with WiFi.

Nick_Pyner:
Even plain-vanilla HC-05 Bluetooth is more frugal than WiFi. Bluetooth requires virtually no programming, indeed it is possible to get by with nothing more than that required to print the data to the serial monitor. What you describe is more or less what I do - stand nearby and watch a graph on the phone or send a filedate and download that for subsequent transfer to Excel. If you only have one file on the SD, you could send it in response to a pushbutton, thereby absolving you from sending any command from the phone.

You could send data via Bluetooth direct to Excel thereby getting live graphs there. I don't know if that is possible with WiFi.

Great answer! Thank you very much!!!