First project

I am a 13 year old boy and i want to build my own project i have all supplies that i will need but i want ideas of what to do first :slight_smile:

but i want ideas of what to do first

So, you posted in Programming? I suppose that once you decide on a project, you'll post your programming questions in Project Guidance.

nickpuiu01:
I am a 13 year old boy and i want to build my own project i have all supplies that i will need but i want ideas of what to do first :slight_smile:

How about controlling a Nuclear Power Station as you have all the supplies that you will need.

More seriously, what have you done so far ?

WELCOME nickpuiu01
Please ignore PaulS. Just tell him one of the tins in his cupboard is facing the wrong way and it'll keep him occupied for the rest of the day trying to find it. :slight_smile:

What kind of arduino do you have?
What are these "supplies" you speak of?
Do you know much about electronics?
Have you done much programing before?

Please ignore PaulS. Just tell him one of the tins in his cupboard is facing the wrong way and it'll keep him occupied for the rest of the day trying to find it.

I don't have any tins in my cupboards, so they can't be facing the wrong way. My Arduino makes sure all my CANS are facing the right way.

Halloween is coming, so try building something with LEDs.

You can create lots of cool, fun projects with light and adding sounds

Have fun!!!

create a receiver and find out what your neighbors outdoor weather station is saying.

create a weather alarm with a barometric sensor to warn when a storm is coming.

monitor lightning and thunder and create a system that would tell if the storm is coming or going

use some steppers and create a moon phase wall calendar

make a humidity sensor for the dryer and alert mom when the dryer is done.

add temperature sensors to the water heater to data log when it is used and when does not.

create a year long data gathering sensor that will record temperature at noon each day and the brightness of the sun

create a garden controller that will measure rain fall and soil moisture and water the garden.

create an automatic doggie door.
create an automatic cat door

create a lot of plant sensors, with solar collectors that will report soil temperature and moisture twice a day. for the house plants

create a smell-a-nator for the cat litter box. alert you when it is time to change the litter.

stair lights. check youtube.

night lights that are motion activated

wire and light the sisters doll house. barbie car...

guess you need to tell us what you like to do.

don't have any tins in my cupboards, so they can't be facing the wrong way. My Arduino makes sure all my CANS are facing the right way.

I use CANNOT Bus , which is probably why my stuff never works...

Please ignore PaulS. Just tell him one of the tins in his cupboard is facing the wrong way and it'll keep him occupied for the rest of the day trying to find it.

Yeah, until you have a programming question. PaulS didn't get 657 Karma points for his good looks (I have NO idea what he looks like)

raschemmel:
Yeah, until you have a programming question. PaulS didn't get 657 Karma points for his good looks (I have NO idea what he looks like)

No worries I do fine on the programming front. Unfortunately, none of my employers ever issued "karma points". So I bow down to his superior "karma points". Now if only he'd loosen up and be a bit more welcoming to newcomers...

Now if only he'd loosen up and be a bit more welcoming to newcomers...

Well look at his Avatar. It's a tiger smiling. (or is it a tiger who just saw a Gazelle ?) I don't know about you , but I've never seen a tiger smile, and they generally growl at just about anything or anyone.

so just where is that negative karma button, anyways?

KenF:

raschemmel:

No worries I do fine on the programming front. Unfortunately, none of my employers ever issued "karma points". So I bow down to his superior "karma points". Now if only he'd loosen up and be a bit more welcoming to newcomers...

Unfortunately, none of my employers ever issued "karma points".

they ALL did, it is 'you can come back and work here again tomorrow'

higher levels of karma points gets promotions

that is unless you are in politics, then it is only who can cover for your mistakes.

BulldogLowell:
so just where is that negative karma button, anyways?

not sure, but I lost some in the last couple weeks/months…

if I knew how to make a cup and pencils from electrons, I could go around and ask

'hey buddy, can you spare a point…"

regarding karma, a famous person (ironically?) from Seattle once said…

Kurt Cobain:
“If you’re really a mean person you’re going to come back as a fly and eat poop.”

Well, just for the record, YODA wasn't exactly Mr. Niceguy.

raschemmel:
Well, just for the record, YODA wasn't exactly Mr. Niceguy.

but Mr Miyagi was, and he is almost as real.

my grandmother (who lived to be 106) used to repeat a famous saying: "Never miss an opportunity to make others happy, even if you have to leave them alone in order to do it."

OK In the interest of civility tonight the karma points are on me. I've even awarded one to paul!

Marine Drill Instructors aren't nice and they are very effective at training people.
I think learning and discipline go hand in hand. I think you can't really train a Newbie to build circuits and write programs without requiring some kind of cooperation in following instructions. The first step is teaching them to ask proper questions, which speaks to the topic we are all talking around. When a Newbie asks a stupid question, I think we have an obligation to tell him so. I don't see anything rude or wrong with telling a Newbie they have asked a stupid question. They are, after all, Newbies and don't know stupid from dumb as far as that goes, and I am sure they know it. In order for them to learn to think and analyze a project or problem, they have to go through a stage of fumbling and falling and maybe blowing things up or frying components. This is how small children learn not to touch a hot stove or a flame. If you can get a Newbie trained to the point where they at LEAST ASK "Is this a STUPID question ?" , then I think you have made progress. Unfortunately , it doesn't alway work that way.
Case in point , THIS POST:

When you have to tell a Newbie to read manual for a DMM, then something is wrong . Why ? Because if a Newbie is SO NEW that they have NEVER used a meter before , they should LOOK FORWARD to reading the manual. They should dive into it like it's WAR & PEACE, because it is, after all, the first KEY TO THE KINGDOM. A DMM puts an incredible amount of testing power in the palm of your hand. You should be eager to read every word . Someone who picks up a meter for the FIRST time , with ABSOLUTELY NO CLUE about how it works (meaning electron flow) or how to use it and proceeds to use it and draw erroneous conclusions like the
poster in the above linked post , is just asking to be told they are stupid. We are not supposed to ignore stupidity. It is our job to prevent it. I don't see how we can do our job without identifying it. Do you ? Would you reply with "Excuse me, I think you may have a misunderstanding about how to use the meter. If you have a moment , perhaps you should glance at the manual...
I think the inclination is to post RTGDM!

Since we’re having a Karma-fest, here’s one for you…