Good afternoon folks,
I totally do not know what I am doing, so I am looking for pointers where and how to start and which electronic components I should buy on a tight budget.
Monitor 2 seperate outdoor tomatoplants (ph+moisture in the soil & light) and give a notification to my phone when paramaters get below or above certain thresholds.
Home Automation/Notification system
- I would like to get a notification on my phone when: 1) a room gets too hot or cold (fire or left window open in winter), 2) Plants need water or PH or 3) when motiondetectors get triggered;
- I want to be able to set a lamp vacationtimers for the living- and bedroom;
- I want to have 3 sections temperature controlled through 3 thermomotors on 3 heatinggroups;
- And lastly I would like to automate garden-watertreatment-system (moisture and PH) for 20 tomatoplants based on 2 plantmeasurements.
I have pictured my requirements in the below picture:
The last row is an example of the notificationview i would hope to accomplish, very minimalistic. I do not have a need to see datagraphs regarding measurements on my phone at all. I just want to be able to import the logged data in (libre)office when I am working on my computer if need be & get notifications when parameters go apeshit above/below a certain threshold. Next to that, when a motiondetector gets triggered, I would like to get notified including a picture.
Questions so far
- What would I need for hardware to get this project of the ground regarding a homeautomation-hub-component or something like that & monitoring 2 seperate tomatoplants? The rest of the components is not relevant at the moment. Lets start with monitoring the tomatoplants;
- I read that the 3 most common options regarding the communicationprotocol for outside monitoring are: Wifi, Zigbee & 433Hz. Is it correct to assume that 433hz is the cheapest protocol and most optimal way to go here?
- Well, the same questions basically goes for all other components which are installed inside the house. Should they use the same communicationprotocol as the tomatoplants?
- I looked at ali express and found alot of cheap imitation stuff which looked descent tho. Are the chinese imitation components any good?
That is about it for now. English is not my native so my apologies for grammer/spellingmistakes. I still hope you guys can help an old geezer achieve his shortterm and longterm goals in this hobbyproject.