FIT0381 and Arduino

Hello,

I am currently doing a project for school where I use a PIR Motion Sensor and a FIT0381 Super Bright LED to send a flash to nearby pedestrians when motion in a driveway (a car) is sensed (reversing).

I was wondering how to make the FIT0381 (https://core-electronics.com.au/10w-super-bright-led-rgb.html) compatible with my Arduino Uno board as it is not as straightforward as the standard LED I was using to get the Motion Sensor part of the code up and running.

Any help is greatly appreciated as a standard LED will not be bright enough for my project.

Regards,
Kooper

Welcome, sounds like a fun project. I will take a SWAG as a lot of details are missing. Assuming you are using resistors to control the current you can use one in each color leg (RGB) and connect the other end to a N-Channel MOSFET or use 3 depending if yo want to change color. Use a logic level MOSFET with a UIS rating. Then it becomes source ground, drain to LED resistor(s), gate to micro output which has a 10K pull down. You will need to go through the calculations to determine what resistor to use for each color. A 12V power supply will just make it, a 15V would be better. Be sure to connect the LED power source ground to the Arduino ground. The plus of the LED supply only connects to the LED>

Hey @gilshultz,

Appreciate the feedback so quickly. I have purchased a 1K OHM Resistor and some TIP120 Transistors - which I believe is the MOSFET you are referring to (please correct me if I am wrong as I am fairly new to Arduino) as per some research I undertook for the project.

My main concern, which I should have outlined more clearly in the original post, is how to connect the Super Bright LED to my Arduino as it does not have pins like a normal LED. Will I need a PCB for this or is there another way I can test this?

Regards, Kooper

You might want to look up a TIP120, you will find it is a NPN transistor (BJT), not a MOSFET. I do not have a clue as to how to hook it up, the data sheet does not give a pin out. That is needed to determine if it is a high side or low side drive. Power supply information etc is also needed.

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.