fix soldering error arduino

I recently dropped some solder on my samd21 microcontroller and about 5 of the pins from the main chip are shorted together. any ideas on how to reseperate the pins? I’ve tried using a solder sucker but it diden’t work.

Solder wick is the perfect tool to use here.

solder wick in conjunction with flux. After it removes the solder, clean it up

In the old wave soldering days, we’d call that blob or plop drop. A blob that fell through the air and hit the tinned pins and stuck. No big deal in most cases.

If it’s lead free (and even if if not) it may have cooled enough in the drop that it is not bonded, metal to metal, it’s just stuck mechanically between the pins. It will probably pop right off with new #11 x-acto blade (or other appropriate pick) and 4-5X magnification. That and perhaps some minor scraping.

Once you hit it with heat from a soldering iron and solder wick, it will flow from the flux in the braid and be harder to remove.

First - run your fingernail over it - often a blob like that won't actually bond because the solder under it didn't melt, so it just comes right off.

Failing that, put some no clean gel flux (that's the keyword to look for - dirt cheap on amazon/ebay, comes in a syringe; great fun when friends come over and raise their eyebrows at the syringe of mysterious liquid on your desk) over the pins on that side of the chip, fire up the iron, and melt the blob, and drag the iron away from the chip, cleaning the solder off the iron (wet sponge, or just whipping it through the air in the direction of nothing you care about) after each pass. Often that's all you need to do (this is similar to the technique known as drag soldering - you can tack one pin on a TQFP package like that, then add flux, bit of solder on iron, and drag it along the pins, and it will magically solder all the pins. Just don't start with the one pin you tacked down). If there's too much solder there for that to work, use desoldering braid or a solder-sucker to remove some. Braid must be wet with a bit of flux for it to work.

Personally, I hate desoldering braid, but I seem to be in the minority on that opinion on these forums.

DrAzzy:
Personally, I hate desoldering braid, but I seem to be in the minority on that opinion on these forums.

+1
Braid is for the inexperienced. Do have some in stock, but don't like using it.
Flux, or the flux in fresh solder, should do it.
The trick is a temp controlled iron that is not too hot, and speed (both will burn off the flux).
Leo..

The trouble with desoldering braid is that it "goes off" over time, possibly before it gets to you. Really needs to be in a "wet pack" with the flux!

Wawa:
+1
Braid is for the inexperienced. Do have some in stock, but don't like using it.
Flux, or the flux in fresh solder, should do it.
The trick is a temp controlled iron that is not too hot, and speed (both will burn off the flux).
Leo..

I use it often, when I am particularly keen to minimise damage to something.

Did not realise I am considered inexperienced.

I doubt I have enough years left to become 'experienced'.