(Fixed) Uno stopped working after GRBL flash

Hello All.

I am completely new to the Arduino. However I was having fun learning and having small amounts of success with writing sketches. I originally got the Uno for a CNC project. I expect it could take me a year to learn enough to get it running. That said, I have had a set back.

After running a stepper motor with the sample MIT sketch I read about what is needed to get three steppers to digest g-code. I tried to flash GRBL.hex to my uno. I was following the instructions here https://github.com/grbl/grbl/wiki/Flashing-Grbl-to-an-Arduino. I got to 98% then it had stopped. Now I am unable to send sketches or continue on. Getting "avrdude: usbdev_open(): did not find any USB device "usb" when I try to burn boot loader. Getting "avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding" If I re try the GRBL flash. I am not sure where to go from here. I read whatever I could find here on the forum. From holding down the reset button while initializing a sketch send to ordering http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200956456654&ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:US:3160 tools to try another burn method?.

I guess my question is in what direction can you point me to find a solution for my now defunct Uno? I appreciate your patience with me as I am just starting out. I am thinking I need it back to basics before I can determine why the GRBL flash failed.

Potentially helpful information: Uno Rev3 w/ DIP ATmega328P from Amazon, think its a knockoff after a read a post here. OS X 10.8.5 Arduino 1.0.5

Thank you, Christian

I was looking at the issue you posted and found a link that says version 0.6 of grbl has an issue and that its unstable. It recommends version 0.7 as a standard that works or 0.8 that's in beta as of 07/01/2012 now that's old but maybe its more info to help.

Thank you cadi2002, I will look into newer versions, or older that may be more stable. Like I said I am very new to this. I am really more interested in the repair procedure. In the end I want it to work, but I want to know why it works.

Thanks again for the lead.

Christian

Ok so I picked up another Uno and used it as an AVR ISP to re burn my boot loader and everything is working fine now. This should be good for future rescues, because during the learning process I expect I will blow things up again.

Cheer

Christian

Glad to hear you got it fixed. I to am new to Arduino and I love every moment I use mine. I am writing code right now to control a 4 wheel robot via IR so far it works great just making the motor control now. I know I can buy a motor controller but why buy if you can build.

Sounds good Cadi, hey after I fixed the uno I grabbed version 8 of GRBL and it loaded with issue. Good call thanks

No problem. Have fun.