Flashing bare atmega328PU with uno, chip unrecognized after burning bootloader

Hi all -
Just learning with some ATmega328pu chips.

I started by following this guide which seems to come up a lot on this board - Gammon Forum : Electronics : Microprocessors : How to make an Arduino-compatible minimal board

I was able to detect the chips properly with the atmega_board_detector sketch, and burn an Uno 16Mhz bootloader, but after that the chips fail to enter programming mode and ask me to check my wiring (even though moments ago it worked fine to setup the bootloader.)

I tried two different chips, and they both appear to be recognized fine until that moment.

I'd be interested in any advice any pointers on getting these working or critiquing my approach.

I have attached a photo of the setup -
1 10k resistor between rst and and +
2 22uf caps between the oscilator and -
1 16mhz oscilator between 9 and 10
2 .1uf caps between + and - as close to chip as possible

connected uno to breadboard
10 - 1
11 - 17
12 - 18
13 - 29

Is it possible the chips are fakes enough to pass identification but not flashing? Would that even be a thing?

Some errors:

1 16mhz oscilator between 9 and 10

No:
22pF caps are needed.
16 MHz crystal is needed. An oscillator is different, it needs power/Gnd to make its output.

You do appear to have a crystal, but your caps look like high value electrolytics, vs literally little ceramic 22pF caps.

ck_:

Wrong. It should be 22pF (pico) as @CrossRoads wrote.
Just another thing, I would add preventative ~10uF capacitor between RESET and GND on the UNO to prevent resetting the board because the latest version of IDE it will surely do.

Thank you for the corrections, you are correct it is a crystal not an oscillator, my mistake.
I will check my caps and add the other cap as recommended and post back.

Thank you!

Budvar10:
Wrong. It should be 22pF (pico) as @CrossRoads wrote.
Just another thing, I would add preventative ~10uF capacitor between RESET and GND on the UNO to prevent resetting the board because the latest version of IDE it will surely do.

Thank you both for your excellent advice.
I implemented the changes recommended, and the chips are now recognized and work great.

You are welcome.