flashing yellow light of death!!!

Just got the flashing yellow light of death on my launch 60G ps3. :frowning:

should I try to fix it myself or should I cough up another $180 to have sony fix it?

Unless you have an IR rework station/oven I wouldnt bother. I’ve fixed around 500 so far and only have success with the correct tools(usually around 1 in 10 fail).

Try a local game shop, they’re usually cheaper and have the correct tools.

Try a local game shop, they’re usually cheaper and have the correct tools.

Game shop are re-sellers/disc polisher, they won’t have any tools at all, they are vendors, not tech wizzards ;D

I recommand you buy a new one if they have the same repairing method as Microsoft. (sending newly “repaired” console).

They will probably ship you a new model anyway, so unfortunately, no more retro-compatibility :’(

Yes but if you talk to a game shop employee, they might refer someone who does the repairs. It’s worth checking!

the deals offered by sony were:

1. pay $150 for a new 120G ps3 slim

or

1. pay $180 for a repair/refurbushed 60G

either way I lose all of my data.
$30 extra for back compatability + 2 extra usb ports?

Also where I live there are no qualified local repair facilities. I would have to ship it out. I have seen some places on ebay that will do it for about half the price of sony. Not sure how legit they are.

Sorry, must be different over here in the UK, most independant game shops do repairs on consoles, ipods, phones etc. Im often employed on a temp basis to teach the shop owner the basics :slight_smile:

$30 extra for back compatability + 2 extra usb ports?

Go for that one if you have PSone games.

They won’t allow you to open the console and take the HDD, right? (breaking the void seal) Thats unfortunate. I wonder if there is another way to save your data.

must be different over here in the UK

UK is awesome :slight_smile:

The void seal doesnt cover the HDD bay, this is intentional so you can change HDD if you need to without losing warrenty :slight_smile:

That’s great.
So he can save his date and repair his console for retro-compatibility.
And everyone will be happy…except Mr Wallet, but $30…

no dice in removing the HDD to save my data.

Apparently each HDD is matched to one specific mother board. So if you take the HDD from one ps3 and put it in another it automatically reformats. I have also looked into placeing it in a computer to backup but sony uses some proprietary file system.

I lose, sony wins. :’(