Flex PCB design in London

Hello Arduino Community!

I have a pretty simple flex PCB I need rendering in eagle asap. It's basically 100 SMD LED modules with 6 pins. We have a layout but need someone who has experience of designing flex GERBERS and is available this week.

We are based in North London and would be good to work with you in our studio if possible. we can of course pay for the work.

Let me know :slight_smile:

Benjamin

Are you paying travel too Benjamin :smiley: ? I could come over from the US :slight_smile:

How is designing flex gerbers different from PCB gerbers? I know iteadstudio is offering flex circuits now, I haven't read up on them to see if the gerbers are any different. Still just a 2 sided board with markings, yes?

Robert

Not sure our budget would cover that :slight_smile: Where are you based though? Might be doing some stuff in the US soon.

I supposed the difference is an appreciation of the stresses in flex. Also the fabricators like extra layers for the lamination.

We've made a load of FPCBs in-house but looking for people who designed for fabrication.

Benjamin

Make sure the ceramic capacitors you are using have Flexible terminations (instead of just the matte-tin termination.)

Same with SMD resistors I guess if you can get them? The termination comes off of ceramic resistors pretty damn easy lol.

To the OP, you can download a CAM file from Itead if you are using Eagle CAD, so all you need to do is load up the CAm file and it will generate the correct gerbers for you that they require. Not sure if you would need a different CAM file for flex PCB's but I doubt it?

See Downloads tab:

Looks likes same .cam file as normal:

They must translate as needed.

@malesor, I am outside of Boston, MA.

dtokez:
Same with SMD resistors I guess if you can get them? The termination comes off of ceramic resistors pretty damn easy lol.

No, not at all the same with resistors.

MLCCs, when flexed, create flex cracks inside their electrode structure. It's the #1 failure mode for MLCCs. "Flexible terminations" is a thin layer of polymer epoxy that will flex with the solder joint, preventing these internal flex cracks.

malesor:
Hello Arduino Community!

I have a pretty simple flex PCB I need rendering in eagle asap. It's basically 100 SMD LED modules with 6 pins. We have a layout but need someone who has experience of designing flex GERBERS and is available this week.

We are based in North London and would be good to work with you in our studio if possible. we can of course pay for the work.

Let me know :slight_smile:

Benjamin

I'm in East London and am free all this week, but I'm fairly new to Eagle so would have little idea what you want. I could certainly use the cash =(