Flickering on 5M led strip

Hi,

I have bought a 5M Dual Color CRI>80 SMD2835 CCT Dimmable LED Strip, and its controlled by an ESP8266 PWM.

It works kind of good, but when the led is the only light that illuminates the room (quite often during the night) I can fell some flickering when seeing the objects or myself in movement, not really in the led strip itself (it does, but is almost nothing). Its complicated to explain. I have increased the frequency, and it slightly improves, but its still annoying.

I thought that a capacitor should improve it in a reasonably way... will it? which capacity you recommend me?

The controller is a Magic Home: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32579734729.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dLw6oBI

The led strip: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33033870268.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dmR8CW2 )

The power source is a laptop charger ( 17V. aprox)

Thnx

i don’t think a capacitor will help. How are you using the esp8266. Can you take a picture of your setup?

I can fell some flickering when seeing the objects or myself in movement,

Yes this is an inherent property of the WS2812 chip.

In order to control the brightness the LEDs are turned on and off rapidly but your eye sees them as being on constantly only dimmer. However, when you have movement then the LEDs are not being turned on and off fast enough to mask the stroboscopic effect you are seeing.

The two ways round this are:- 1) Use the Dot Star LED strips as these flash at a faster rate than the Neopixel WS2812 type. or 2) Don't move.

I have increased the frequency, and it slightly improves

The frequency of what? The flashing rate is fixed inside the chip and can not be altered.

I thought that a capacitor should improve it in a reasonably way

You need a capacitor on the power to the chip anyway about 1000uF. Without one you may well get increased flashing. But the problem of the stroboscopic effect still remains.

The strips and controller don’t appear to be ws2812....

Qdeathstar: The strips and controller don’t appear to be ws2812....

I agree. They are like "dumb" RGB strips but with 2 channels instead of 3, for cool & warm white.