Floating Inputs

Yo I realize that this should probably be obvious. But when using batteries to power things, and I'm worried about inputs floating. Pulling the inputs down to the negative on the battery with a resistor (probably a 10k cause I've got hundreds) will make them stop floating correct? Say instead I'm worried about the input on a solid state relay, that when its off has a 14k resistance across its control pins. To pull that low, I should have it tied to negative with a larger resistance (say on the order of 30-40k) correct?

Nikarus: Say instead I'm worried about the input on a solid state relay

What do you mean by "input on a solid state relay"? Relays are output devices controlled by output pins.

Arrch:

Nikarus:
Say instead I’m worried about the input on a solid state relay

What do you mean by “input on a solid state relay”? Relays are output devices controlled by output pins.

A relay may be controlled by the Output of an arduino or other microcontroller. However on the relay you connect the arduino to the input (i guess looking at a couple others I have they also label this pair of lugs as “Control” rather then input)

In the application I’m doing, theres a relay thats triggered by a button (sadly no microcontroller involved in this area of the job) and the button is powered by 4 AA batteries.
My worry is that when someone isn’t holding down the button, the relay’s “control” might float (just like input pins on an arduino that aren’t pulled to ground or to 5V). And I’m just trying to avoid any false positives.

Measure it. You will probably find that it has the necesary internal pull downs. Hook it up and test it.

Nikarus:

Arrch:

Nikarus: Say instead I'm worried about the input on a solid state relay

What do you mean by "input on a solid state relay"? Relays are output devices controlled by output pins.

A relay may be controlled by the Output of an arduino or other microcontroller. However on the relay you connect the arduino to the input (i guess looking at a couple others I have they also label this pair of lugs as "Control" rather then input)

In the application I'm doing, theres a relay thats triggered by a button (sadly no microcontroller involved in this area of the job) and the button is powered by 4 AA batteries. My worry is that when someone isn't holding down the button, the relay's "control" might float (just like input pins on an arduino that aren't pulled to ground or to 5V). And I'm just trying to avoid any false positives.

Solid State relays use an LED as it's input device and as such takes considerable current to activate, it won't be effected by any 'floating input' condition.

Lefty