Flow sensor for oil (not for water) for Arduino

I would like to know if there is any flow meter/sensor for oils (i.e. olive oil) for Arduino. I searched but could not find something useful. I always see a cheap plastic water flow sensor for Arduino but I do not think that this is a good option. It seems that it's only for water, it's small and the construction of it seems a little bit inexpensive

You shouldn't limit your search to include "for Arduino" imo. I'm pretty sure no commercial / food quality sensor manufacturer would include the word "Arduino" in their product catalogue; they've probably never heard of Arduino.

I'd go the other way: find one for the oil you want, and suitable flow-rate and pipe size and whatever else you have in mind, then bring it to the forum and ask if it will work on an Arduino. It's very likely that it will just be some kind of pulse that needs to be counted.

redoomed: I would like to know if there is any flow meter/sensor for oils (i.e. olive oil) for Arduino. I searched but could not find something useful. I always see a cheap plastic water flow sensor for Arduino but I do not think that this is a good option. It seems that it's only for water, it's small and the construction of it seems a little bit inexpensive

The key phrase for searching is "food grade". Be prepared for the price jump that goes with this.

redoomed: I would like to know if there is any flow meter/sensor for oils (i.e. olive oil) for Arduino. I always see a cheap plastic water flow sensor for Arduino but I do not think that this is a good option. It seems that it's only for water, it's small and the construction of it seems a little bit inexpensive

There is nothing wrong with cheap plastic water flow sensors, and you can always pay more for one if it makes you feel better. You may find you need to re-calibrate it for the difference in viscosity. They are small for good reason, but come in various sizes, and you fail to define what you might mean by "big". Another option is an ultrasonic clamp-on sensor, which have a wider range, and can handle any and varying viscosity. I believe they typically use 4-20 mA interface, and Arduino can handle that with no problems.

I don't think a non-conductive fluid like oil will work with the first one. The second and third are probably pelton wheel hall effect devices which have a magnet held in place by a stainless steel clip which is probably not 316L food grade. If your olive oil contains water then it may rust.

mikb55 the second and third they write that is ok for beer,milk,oil,diesel etc. However I do not know if it's ok because it is chinese clone of the original. will these chinese work without problems?

redoomed: mikb55 the second and third they write that is ok for beer,milk,oil,diesel etc. However I do not know if it's ok because it is chinese clone of the original. will these chinese work without problems?

Nothing "works" without problems. You will have to test it. Bet no one here has tried to make olive oil go through a pipe.

Paul

I have not piped olive oil but I do pump glycerine. It is sticky and polar so a mag meter would work for glycerine. Olive oil is non polar so a mag meter probably won't work. For my application however, I measure the output of the pump after I have it installed and just keep track of the run time. I will check the calibration periodically and adjust my numbers if necessary.

TKall: I measure the output of the pump after I have it installed and just keep track of the run time. I will check the calibration periodically and adjust my numbers if necessary.

That makes a lot of sense. Much simpler.

Wondering how much it goes off between calibrations?