follow camera project

Hi all,

i’m a developer but newbe on arduino world.
For a sport center (snowboard jump training) we need “something” that can follow an athlete.
When a person come down to the ramp this system must detect motion and follow the movement (maximus 170°).
The camera will be a gopro.
This structure is 11mt high, 35mt long.
There’s some sensor that do that (coupled with a servo motor for motion)?
Or is better to detect motion and, knowing average speed, give the rotation angle and speed to the servo and after few second return to original position?
Can you recommend me the exact hardware i need?

Thank’s for all

It is possible to detect the x,y pixel position of the motion USING A PC. First you send the picture to the PC.

Or is better to detect motion and, knowing average speed, give the rotation angle and speed to the servo and after few second return to original position?

I like that idea better. Use a PIR sensor and $3 servo.

:smiley:
thank's for your reply.
For information from how many range of meters can i trigger the pir?

Ps if is possible can you describe me the exact hardware i need? thank's

I have limited experience outside in the real world with Arduino and PIR. Seems about 10m reliably. I have much more experience with a PIR hunting camera. It seems to work for a mouse about 20m. 50m+ for a human. Air temperature and background temperature are a huge factor. Cold is better. Fast movement is easier. You have those in your favor.

They ship fast even from far away:
http://arduino-direct.com/sunshop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=173

Webcams which keep themselves pointed towards your face are available. I wonder whether it may be possible to find something a bit more general along the same lines?

Otherwise the sort of approach you're describing would need some pretty clever image processing to tell the difference between foreground motion and background motion. You might find it's easier just to estimate what path the camera typically needs to follow and trigger it when the target enters the capture area.

Agree. But they detect faces, not movement further away. It wouldn't be so bad if the background was completely static. But it would take many hours of coding effort.

sbright33:
I have limited experience outside in the real world with Arduino and PIR. Seems about 10m reliably. I have much more experience with a PIR hunting camera. It seems to work for a mouse about 20m. 50m+ for a human. Air temperature and background temperature are a huge factor. Cold is better. Fast movement is easier. You have those in your favor.

They ship fast even from far away:
http://arduino-direct.com/sunshop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=173

Thank's for all.
Do you think i may have problem with light condition?
PS it's ok and arduino uno - 2009?
Can you recommend me about a motor / servo? Gopro weight about 167g.
And what about alimentation? We can use ony arduino power adapter?

The same website has cheap servos, which is what you would need for a small camera.