Follow the stars

Hi. I'm a newbie of Arduino community and I just finished the projects in the "Arduino Project Book" (sold with the Starter Kit). I felt in love with Arduino and I want to improve my knowledge of this fantastic tool. I think that the best thing to lear Arduino in deep is to have a clear project in mind and try to transform it to reality!

I alway tried to do some photo of the sky and in particular of the milky way. As you can imagine, the time needed to take enough light is too large and the apparent motion of the sky ruins the photo. So I had an idea for an Arduino project. It is possible to use Arduino to move a structure that automatically follows the movement of the sky with the camera?

If this project is feasible, which material is needed in your opinion and how I can start such a big project?

Thank you very much for your help and your hints! Every comment is appreciated!

The movement of the camera is always the same angular velocity : 15 degrees per hour. That is the easy part. The difficulty is from the vibrations of the mechanism, not with computer adaptations. The first decision you have is a mechanical platform and bearings that have small enough vibrations that you can tolerate them. The computer work is simple after that platform can move at any slow speed.

You don’t need an arduino for that. Use a synchronous AC motor, as used in time switches. They turn at one rev/day = 15o/hour. There should be little vibration introduced by one of those, although any bearings you use could cause problems. You could even use the switches to open and close your shutter at the appropriate times, but most limit you to intervals that are multiples of 15 minutes.