food quality sensor or water quality sensor

hey mates! this is my first post here at arduino forums..

iam looking for a sensor that capable of sensing food bacterias(in able to know if the food is still good to consume) this is a part of a project that i'm thinking..

as well as water quality sensor that can be develop to identify if a water is having impurities and if its safe to drink.

sorry for my bad grammar..

ps. please suggest some projects concerning security(android based / gsm based / medical or other projects that can be use by a community.. your ideas is a big help for me

Hi, welcome to the forum.

That is not easy. As far as I know, there are some special industrial sensors for bacteria. But I don't know a sensor that is easy to use and can be connected to an Arduino.

The websites of sparkfun.com and adafruit.com have components and sensors for the Arduino boards. A PH-sensor can be used with an Arduino, but that is just the PH value, not the water quality.

Did you read about sensors that can do that ? You can copy the link in your post.

The issue of using an Arduino to determine water quality has come up before. If you try Google it might return some useful information.

Also be careful relying on this project to protect users from ALL forms of bacteria and viruses.

How do you plan to carry out the actual test of the food?

Weedpharma

thank you for your response mates! iam in research for it is possible to do but i have other idea concerning the MCU device and sensors like making a weighing scale that is integrated with arduino or something.. i think this idea requires sensor? what do you think mates..

Once you decide what your project is, let us know. Come up with a plan with real possibilities in respect to your knowledge and ability rather than just throwing ideas out and seeing what we say.

Weedpharma

You need some nano toll booths. Simply count your nano money to see how many bacteria have entered.

You need to have a better definition of what water quality is. In the EU Drinking Water Directive, there must be over 100 things to measure that make up the definition of safe drinking water - these cover heavy metals, pesticides and other nasties, nitrates, nitrites, many organic compounds all, sorts of bacteria, mainly faecal coliforms. Whole laboratories are dedicated to just testing water samples - I know because I used to run one. Years ago, you could get away with checking whether there was enough chlorine added, bacteria and how clear the water was. Not a simple topic.

Bacteria in food need to be cultured to get them to show up (plus the moulds) - some of them give off distinctive gases, but generally they have to be counted to get a colonies per gram result - alternatively, buy a Coulter Counter at £10K