For mellis: Why the shape?

I was thinking this morning “Why -is- the Arduino shaped the way it is?” - I don’t think this question has been asked (and if so, forgive me)…

I know about the inadvertant mistake on the header pin spacing (the lesson we should all learn here is “don’t rush things - even when they seem to need rushing”) has been explained, but the shape of the Arduino board is an odd one.

Was it to fit a specific case? Were there odd pieces of PCB material laying around and that shape happened to fit? Was somebody drunk at the time? :wink:

Why not a standard rectangular board, perhaps in a “common” size to fit a wide variety of enclosures that exist? I know that most people probably don’t incorporate an entire Arduino into their custom devices, instead opting for a custom layout and PCB for such.

Just curious…

Oh, a big thank you for this project (resulting in this community); funny shape, mistakes, flaws, and all. I think the positives more than outweigh all of the negatives!

Just looking at my board, it would seem that it was extruded out some on the right side to give space for those mounting holes (plus is provided a nice place for the ICSP header).

Again, that’s just a guess, but it seems reasonable :P.

I was thinking this morning “Why -is- the Arduino shaped the way it is?” - I don’t think this question has been asked (and if so, forgive me)…

It has been:
http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1189417296

Haha I stand corrected!

Now that I think about it…the board does have an aesthetically appealing look to it… I really don’t think it’d look as nice as a rectangle :P.

only an engineer would find a green rectangle exciting

;D ;D ;D

only an engineer would find a green rectangle exciting

Or someone playing COD 4, aiming the Stinger!

Well, I guess there’s my answer; kinda what I was expecting.

I like the shape, on its own, but it certainly makes integrating it into a standard enclosure more of a challenge, if that is your goal.