For the seasoned contributors

I'm not sure I have the patience (oh, squirrel) to assemble such a kit, and the units that are already assembled, are a little pricey for my budget right now. But, it remains on the someday list of cool things.

Wow, someone invented the dumb terminal again. ;)

When I was in elementary school they still used those machines with the big round drum that spat out copies with blue-colored ink.

retronet_RIMBA1ZO:

Graynomad: What's a carriage and why would it have to return?

The carriage of a typewriter needs to return back to the left plus move roller up to a new line.

So, it's been a while since you laid hands on one, isn't it?

Graynomad had it right. In Western countries, the typewriter starts typing on the left hand side of the page, which means you push the carriage to the right using that lever on the left side of the carriage - which also performs the "line feed" on the roller by the number of line increments for which it has been set; single, double, triple and partial spacings.

From the article cited:

Paul__B:

retronet_RIMBA1ZO:

Graynomad: What's a carriage and why would it have to return?

The carriage of a typewriter needs to return back to the left plus move roller up to a new line.

So, it's been a while since you laid hands on one, isn't it?

haha, yeah - you caught me out there !!

actually...

the carriage is stationary and the the whole typewriter glides on rollers to the left... :-P

I tried to read through these posts, but forgot I had pressed the " Scroll lock" key first :slight_smile:

Boffin1: I tried to read through these posts, but forgot I had pressed the " Scroll lock" key first :-)

lol, you got me wasting a few minutes trying to figure out how mine works !