Force-sensing Touch sensor

Hi,

I have a project and three options to achieve its aim:

First option is to find a setup whereby I get values that show where there is a contact between an object and an electrode (like a matrix of sensing points or pressure map).

My second option is to have a capacitive sensor that can detect metal and non metal objects that is connected to an electrode.

Third option, is a force (capacitive) sensor (the harder you push the higher is the value) connected to an electrode.

I was wondering whether they are feasible or which one is more feasible and easy to implement? and if there is a sensor of such a purpose (or a way to combine resistors or/and diodes)?

Thanks.

Consider a Force Sensitive Resistor.

What kind of objects does it have to sense? You first talk about "metal and non-metal", later "when you push" (so hand held?)
How big is the object?
How large the matrix and how big the points in it?

This (and probably more parameters that I don't think of right now) determine the feasibility of the project, and which would be the easiest option to implement it.

ou first talk about "metal and non-metal", later "when you push" (so hand held?)
How big is the object?
How large the matrix and how big the points in it?

Thanks for your reply.

I meant either a capacitive sensor that detects metal or non metal, OR something that the more your press on the electrode the higher is the value (FSR comes with there electrode, not sure if I can replace with mine).

The project is small I would say.

The matrix does not have to be very large (8x8 or 10x10 would be enough).

The sensor or the setup I am looking for does not have to meet all these requirements, but at least one of them.

8x8 - mm? feet? pixels (and how big the pixels)?

Capacitive sensors can detect some non-metal objects, such as fingers and bottles of water. In theory it may be able to detect non-conductive objects as well but the signal will be really weak. These sensors mostly sense proximity and direct touch, and have no sensitivity to pressure.

FSR does not react to mere proximity or even minor touch, it needs actual pressure to react. It reacts to any object that applies sufficient pressure (or maybe force is indeed more appropriate).

What would you want to replace from an FSR and why?