forgot arduino yun password

Ok so I was loaning my yun to a friend and so I needed to change the password. but once I did, I decided to test the new password to make sure it worked but it didn't work, after trying many times I realized I must have made a typo entering the new password. after trying a bunch of different possible typos I concluded that it was hopeless and hit the reset buttons. I hit the wifi reset button for five seconds, then 30 seconds. I hit the other one twice, but it didn't reset the factory settings, and apparently no one else is as stupid as me so theres no help online figuring out a forgotten yun password. My question is what do I do? please help

didannl:
::::SNIP::::
online figuring out a forgotten yun password. My question is what do I do? please help

@didannl,
thanks for asking this question. I’m compiling an FAQ. Your question will be among the answers.

[Q:] I forgot my password/lost. What do I do?
Date: 2015-02-15

Forgetting (or losing) the password is quite common. It’s so common, here is a canned answer. Read the whole thing before following any of the links, you might be able to skip to the last step.

Here it is

First it’s good to know, when the Yun cannot find the AP you have set it for (like your home wifi), the Arduino Yun has a script that restores the default SSID (arduino.local), sets the wifi in AP mode (aka unrouted hotspot), and resets the password to the factory default of arduino.

Next, you may have already watch this video, but it’s worth watching again. Pay extra attention to the part with the sketches.
Getting started with Arduino Yún - tutorial (6:53)

Then, read these short instructions. We (the volunteer support group) are already know these steps by heart, so be familiar with the different reboot methods, and especially the 30+ second wifi reset. Also, not mentioned on that page, if you reset the Wifi/Linux part of the Yun, it will take from 2-8 minutes for the reboot.
Resetting the processors (AR9331, WiFi, and 32U4)

Then start over, plug your Yun into the USB port, run this sketch, and hit the Wifi Reset button (for 5-10 seconds).

The YunSerialTerminal provides a simplified console access to the Linux part of the Yun. It works via the USB port (the one that powers the Yun - the microUSB). From there you’ll be able to run a few commands to give us a better idea of problems.

Also, be ready with this sketch YunWiFiStatus. This sketch will help us see the status of your home AP. The sketch prints the wifi status to the console every 5 seconds or so. This sketch might seem familiar as it was in that first video link (above).

Lastly, since you can access your Yun via the USB serial port you can also run command-line programs. As such, this tutorial will be helpful - Using the command line for communication with SSH and cURL.

Let us know how it goes.
Post results (in text form) from the YunSerialTerminal, if you are still having problems.
Please use markup when posting results (see below).

Jesse

arduino_markup.png

didannl:
I hit the wifi reset button for five seconds, then 30 seconds.

How much time did you give between those two resets?

What isn't mentioned in the resetting instructions is that WLAN RST button only works when the Linux side of the Yun is fully booted up. When you apply power, or reset the Linux processor (either using Yun RST button or by holding WLAN RST for more than five seconds) it takes a long time before the Linux side is fully booted up and even looking at the WLAN RST button.

If you pressed the WLAN RST button for more than five seconds, it restored the network settings to the defaults, and then rebooted the Linux processor. Before trying the button for 30 seconds, did you give enough time for the Linux processor to completely reboot?

ShapeShifter:
How much time did you give between those two resets?
::::SNIP::::
Before trying the button for 30 seconds, did you give enough time for the Linux processor to completely reboot?

@ShapeShifter,
you made a very good point. I need to figure out how to add that to the documentation.
Jesse