Forum etiquette - What to do when someone posts a threat in this forum?

Fellow Arduino forum posters would you consider this to be a threat? The way it was written I did.

http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=551191.msg3759272#msg3759272 Post number 21.

No, not at all. Not even close. Using goto has been severely frowned upon since at least the time of Dijsktra's paper "Goto considered harmful".

Pete

The way I interpret it, is that he just gives you the "simple and concise explination" you were looking for:

• Why shouldn't I use goto?
  • Short answer: bad things will happen if you do use it. It'll make it very hard to spot bugs.

I don't think it was meant as a personal threat at all. But that's my interpretation, of course.

Pieter

Yes, unfortunately the way this forum is "managed" your post will be ignored , deleted, moved or you will be told to "read how to post full code in code tags" first.

Sorry to say, but your only defense is not to participate or sell your Arduino stock.

@232: What nonsensical, irrelevant rubbish.

Pete

el_supremo: @232: What nonsensical, irrelevant rubbish.

+1

el_supremo: No, not at all. Not even close. Using goto has been severely frowned upon since at least the time of Dijsktra's paper "Goto considered harmful".

Pete

PieterP: The way I interpret it, is that he just gives you the "simple and concise explination" you were looking for:

• Why shouldn't I use goto?
  • Short answer: bad things will happen if you do use it. It'll make it very hard to spot bugs.

I don't think it was meant as a personal threat at all. But that's my interpretation, of course.

Pieter

If you read my post you will see his response does not address or answer the question being asked.

Why would you not take that as a threat?

232: Yes, unfortunately the way this forum is "managed" your post will be ignored , deleted, moved or you will be told to "read how to post full code in code tags" first.

Sorry to say, but your only defense is not to participate or sell your Arduino stock.

Code tags would be irrelevant in this case, @232, a little like so many of your comments.

But yes, I did move this to a more appropriate section.

Doug101: If you read my post you will see his response does not address or answer the question being asked.

I do so hope there's an element of "tongue in cheek" about this topic.

"Bad Things will happen" doesn't have to be directed at you. It just means, as @PieterP pointed out, that using goto can cause/create bugs in your code which will be very hard to find - i.e. "Bad Things will happen" in your program.

Pete

Doug101: Why would you not take that as a threat?

The question is "Why would you take that as a threat?" You would have to be actively seeking victimhood to consider that a threat. Stop trying to create needless drama and get back to learning to program.

el_supremo: "Bad Things will happen" doesn't have to be directed at you. It just means, as @PieterP pointed out, that using goto can cause/create bugs in your code which will be very hard to find - i.e. "Bad Things will happen" in your program.

Pete

Read my posts and his replies in context. Can you explain why "Bad things will happen" in relevant?

People say typically say bad things will happen before THEY do harm.

Doug101: If you read my post you will see his response does not address or answer the question being asked.

Doug101: Read my posts and his replies in context. Can you explain why "Bad things will happen" in relevant?

People say typically say bad things will happen before THEY do harm.

Are you really being serious right now?

(deleted)

(deleted)

PieterP: Are you really being serious right now?

Are school shooting real? Yes I am.

Doug101: Why would you not take that as a threat?

This must rank with the most ridiculous things I have come across on the internet.

A threat to do what?

Have a laugh with his mates down the pub because he gave a short answer to someone's question?

As a comment about using GOTO "bad things will happen" is as apt as anything else I have heard. So I don't expect there is even a risk that anyone will be laughing about it.

...R

el_supremo: "Bad Things will happen" doesn't have to be directed at you. It just means, as @PieterP pointed out, that using goto can cause/create bugs in your code which will be very hard to find - i.e. "Bad Things will happen" in your program.

Pete

If that's what he meant, then why didn't he say so. Why would he respond with a threat? It doesn't answer the questions and is of no help.

What bad things would happen?

Robin2: This must rank with the most ridiculous things I have come across on the internet.

A threat to do what?

Have a laugh with his mates down the pub because he gave a short answer to someone's question?

As a comment about using GOTO "bad things will happen" is as apt as anything else I have heard. So I don't expect there is even a risk that anyone will be laughing about it.

...R

This might be the difference between the US where we have 80,000 murders a year, (bad things happen) and the UK where you have how many murders in a year? 50?

We have school shotting, where kids before they start shooting say "bad things will happen" before ther start shooting.

Have a good laugh, but remember the parents and familles of the kids "bad things happened to.

Doug101: If that's what he meant, then why didn't he say so. Why would he respond with a threat? It doesn't answer the questions and is of no help.

Because it was implicit. And it looks like everyone on this thread interprets it the same way.

I think you interpreted it in the wrong way. That can happen to everyone, but please, don't make such drama out of it.