Forum Post Template?

Is it possible to have users (at least newbies) fill out a template when starting a new thread?

Most other forums have this and it will really help teach forum users how to ask questions properly with correct context and formatting. Would save a lot of headache...

Power_Broker: fill out a template when starting a new thread?

I can't envisage that - do you have an example?

...R

Even “stock” replies are a custom template made and used in different forms by those of us who use them.
There is currently no “macro” usage which is where I think you are going with this.

Macros are on my wish list but I doubt they will ever happen.

Bob.

Robin2: I can't envisage that - do you have an example?

...R

When a user clicks start new thread, instead of only one text box for the body, you will have several. For instance, you could use the following template:

What is your project and what is it's end goal: [text box]

Insert your entire working code here: [text box with code tags automatically wrapped around user's text]

What is currently not working: [text box]

What is it's expected behavior: [text box]

Screenshots: [picture upload button]

Other information/questions: [text box]

I would not favour a scheme like that. I understand the reasoning behind it, but box-filling like that is just too restrictive.

Yes I know it is tiresome when people don't think to provide the info necessary to help them. But that, too, is part of their learning process. The only ones I object to are those who take offence when told that they have not provided enough info.

I have the impression that very few people have been in the position of having to help a friend solve a problem that requires analysis of facts - whether for a computer project or anything else. Consequently people just don't have any sense that specific info is needed.

...R

Robin2: I would not favour a scheme like that. I understand the reasoning behind it, but box-filling like that is just too restrictive.

You can have them click "review" instead of "post", then they can edit the response as a whole, so that you can make the post have whatever you want (like it is now). After reviewing, you can then click "post" to submit.

To each his own, but I find having templates for people really helps clear things up for everyone. I use templates for git issues and it really, really helps. There's no reason it wouldn't help here, too.

Power_Broker: You can have them click "review" instead of "post", then they can edit the response as a whole, so that you can make the post have whatever you want (like it is now). After reviewing, you can then click "post" to submit.

IMHO that makes the whole thing even more unwieldy.

I can't help feeling you are thinking about this as an expert sees it rather than as a newbie might see it. I am not in favour of barriers to entry - for this Forum especially.

...R