Forum usability with an iPad

I often browse and post to the forum with an iPad. There are two site features that make it difficult, one old and one new.

First the old: when typing a post, if you click one of the tool ribbon formatting buttons, the Buy/Download/Products/Learning/etc navigation ribbon jumps down to the top of the screen, and stays in that relative page position (does not stay at the top of the screen when scrolling, it scrolls with the page content.) What that means is that by the second or third time you use a formatting button, that navigation ribbon is stuck on top of the formatting button ribbon, making it impossible to use any of the formatting buttons. The fix is to close the keyboard, which redraws the page with the navigation ribbon at the top of the screen, and it stays there while scrolling. You can then scroll the page so the ribbon is out of the way, then tap on the edit field to re-open the keyboard, and the ribbon stays put relative to the page until the next time you tap a formatting button. Basically, the navigation ribbon jumps when using a formatting button, and does not stay at the top of the screen when the keyboard is open.

The new problem is with the smiley icons: a recent change has limited the number of smileys that appear in the edit dialog. If you click the ellipses to show more of them, there is a pop up window. The issue is that the smileys are very small and difficult to tap. If you pinch zoom in, they do get bigger, but the code re-calculates the pop up position relative to the zoomed size. As it does so, the pop up window moves up out of the screen's view. Scrolling the screen has very little impact on the pop up window's position, I often have to scroll all the way to the top of the page to be able to see the pop up window.

In both cases, the code appears to be doing some automatic page element position calculations, but they don't quite work well on an iPad. They don't make it impossible to use on an iPad, but they sure do make it inconvenient and aggravating.

On the plus side, I like how the Karma count is shown next to each post. 8)

I use my iPad a lot and I have no major problems.

I would like to know why it is that clicking on "Quote" takes you into Quick Reply without access to the tool bar that is available from "Reply".

Weedpharma

weedpharma: I would like to know why it is that clicking on "Quote" takes you into Quick Reply without access to the tool bar that is available from "Reply".

That quirk doesn't bother me too much, and it's not limited to iPad usage. If you just hit the "Preview" button, it takes you to the full-up edit window with all the options.

Thanks. I can now access what I thought I could not.

Weedpharma

ShapeShifter: the Buy/Download/Products/Learning/etc navigation ribbon jumps down to the top of the screen, and stays in that relative page position (does not stay at the top of the screen when scrolling, it scrolls with the page content.)

Let me point out that is a great nuisance on any system, though particularly so as a gross waste of space on a smaller screen - netbook or pad.

We don't want it! It has no use. If one is scrolling down a page, it is because one is reading that page. Nothing on that blue bar is useful - but on the extremely rare occasion it were (only ever the "Products" or "Learning"), we could simply scroll up to find it. To the extent that it was in any way important, it could be repeated on the bottom of the page - under where the "Quick Reply" is.

This is a carry-over from the worst sort of advertising.

Reminiscent of the caret "booby trap" that appears on the right hand edge near the bottom of the view on eBay pages that if accidentally hit whilst scrolling, puts you back to the top of the page. Because no-one has a "Home" key on their keyboard. :roll_eyes:

Paul__B: Because no-one has a "Home" key on their keyboard. :roll_eyes:

Actually, my iPad doesn't have a home key... ;) ;D

But I can tap the top of the screen above the address bar and jump back to the top of the screen. I agree that the navigation bar taking up precious portable screen space is annoying, there is no need for it.

And the auto-placed popup window for the smileys is especially annoying. What was so bad about having them all right there on the edit dialog? If the duplicates were eliminated, they wouldn't take up so much room.

And speaking of smileys, we really need a thumbs-up smiley. 8) (I would've used one right there...)

O0

Nice hair, do you use dye.