Forumdudes: not in sync...

Must we really read every two hours a new post asking over and over the same question? :P

It's a frustrating problem to try to help with because often the cause is simply that they let the magic smoke out and there's nothing to do about it except buy a new board.

I actually used to have email filters set up so I wouldn't get notifications for forum posts about any of those common upload errors. But in the last year I've done some research on the causes of the various errors and have started doing what I can to help out. There are still some errors I haven't figured out the cause of though.

It is a very frustrating error for all involved - IME, usually it's not a let-the-smoke-out issue, as on the most common boards (genuine uno/mega), the part that's easiest to trash is the USB-serial converter. How often does someone post about damage to their board where the USB-serial adapter is intact, but the '328p isn't?

But trying to figure out the cause is annoying enough if it happens to an experienced person; trying to talk a newbie through it is really annoying, and is generally neither rewarding nor likely to teach the person trying to help anything new... The error essentially translates to "something went wrong" - you get the same error if you selected the wrong board from the menu, or cut the board in half and threw away the half with the '328p on it...