[-fpermissive] problem when compilinf project

Hi, Im trying to compile this project. Just the "Ghettoproxy.ino" branch. I use IDE 1.6.1 and I have cloned the library folders in the project into the Arduino folder. But Im getting the following errors:

In file included from C:\Users\p\Downloads\arduino-1.6.1\libraries\FastSerial/BetterStream.h:16:0,
                 from C:\Users\p\Downloads\arduino-1.6.1\libraries\FastSerial/FastSerial.h:56,
                 from GhettoProxy.ino:17:
C:\Users\p\Downloads\arduino-1.6.1\libraries\FastSerial/../AP_Common/AP_Common.h: In function 'int strcasecmp_P(const char*, const prog_char_t*)':
C:\Users\p\Downloads\arduino-1.6.1\libraries\FastSerial/../AP_Common/AP_Common.h:108:38: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of 'type name' with no type [-fpermissive]
     return strcasecmp_P(str1, (const prog_char *)pstr);
                                      ^
C:\Users\p\Downloads\arduino-1.6.1\libraries\FastSerial/../AP_Common/AP_Common.h:108:38: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of 'type name' with no type [-fpermissive]
C:\Users\p\Downloads\arduino-1.6.1\libraries\FastSerial/../AP_Common/AP_Common.h:108:32: error: expected primary-expression before 'const'
     return strcasecmp_P(str1, (const prog_char *)pstr);

I dont know where the problem is. Any clue? Thanks in advance.

Hi ardufriki,

unfortunately the latest version of the AVR compiler has removed support for ``` prog_* ``` types like ``` prog_char ``` . In a way this is a good thing because prog_char didn't really add anything and is more simple to use plain char but, on the other hand, this is going to break a lot of existing sketches until all the libraries are updated.

A simple rule of thumb is to replace all the prog_* types with their plain counter part in this case ``` prog_char ``` with ``` char ``` .

Now, looking at the Ghettoproxy project, it is not just a simple .ino sketch but a more complex project with a lot of libraries. I've managed to make it compile by search/replace 'prog_char' with 'char' (and some more small tweakings).

I've submitted the patch the original repository: https://github.com/KipK/Ghettostation/pull/20

While we wait for the authors to review the patch you can try the patched version downloading it from here

very helpfull