Freeduino Debugwire

I am trying to use debugwire on a freeduino (v1.6) using an AVR Dragon.

I can only seem to get it to work when R1 (pull up for reset) and CRS (reset capacitor) are not connected to /Reset. The dragon's manual also notes this:

Some precautions regarding the RESET line must be taken to ensure proper communication over the debugWIRE interface. If there is a pull-up on the RESET line, this resistor must be larger than 10Kohm, and there should be no capacitive load. The pull-up resistor is not required for debugWIRE functionality. Other logic connected to the RESET line should be removed

What function does CRS have ? (why is it connected to _DTR) and am I the only one having this problem?

What function does CRS have ? (why is it connected to _DTR) and am I the only one having this problem?

The CRS capacitor connected to _DTR is what makes AutoReset to work. It is standard in all Arduino Diecimila and Freeduino boards (and other post-diecimila clone boards). What version of freeduino do you have? Is it the through-hole kit board or the pre-release with SMD parts? Maybe you are the only one that tested DebugWire with the *duino boards. I just tried it and Dragon+Debugware only works if you remove the CRS cap from the board.

The CRS capacitor connected to _DTR is what makes AutoReset to work. It is standard in all Arduino Diecimila and Freeduino boards (and other post-diecimila clone boards). What version of freeduino do you have? Is it the through-hole kit board or the pre-release with SMD parts? Maybe you are the only one that tested DebugWire with the *duino boards. I just tried it and Dragon+Debugware only works if you remove the CRS cap from the board.

I have the through-hole kit board. So it seems indeed the cap is what is causing debugwire not to function.

If you unsolder the left pin of the cap, debugwire will work, but autoreset will not. Maybe you can add a jumper or a switch? Are you programming the AVR directly or using the Arduino IDE?