Freeduino Problems

Here's my problem:

A few days ago I built a Freeduino USB v2.2 Diecemila compatable board and then installed the Intel version of FTDI USBSerial Driver_v2_2_7. After a restart I opened a Terminal window and typed ls /dev/cu.* and ls /dev/tty.* to verify that the drivers were installed. Both strings returned confirmation that the computer was recognizing the board. I opened the Arduino IDE v0010 and set Tools > Board > Arduino Diecemila along with Tools > Serial Port > /dev/tty.usbserial-000103D. I opened the Blink Example, ran Sketch > Verify/Compile and everything went fine. Upon running File > Upload to I/O Board this error was returned:

avrdude: stk500_rev(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x30

So I tried changing Tools > Serial Port > /dev/cu.usbserial-000103D and this error was returned:

avrdude: stk500_rev(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_rev(): programmer is not responding

I am using a Macbook Intel Core 2 Duo on OSX 10.4.8.

I have gone through the Troubleshooting guide and none of the suggestions have worked. I even tried using a different USB port and still the same problem.

Any clues to what is going wrong?

I built a Freeduino USB v2.2 Diecemila compatable board

One of the problems with not having any naming restrictions associated with "Freeduino" is that this doesn't tell us very much. Was this a particular kit or pre-made board? If so, which one exactly (url)?

The fact that the Serial port shows up on your computer only means that the basic FTDI/USB portion of the board is working (it's a GOOD sign, but...) It's still possible that there is something wrong with the path between the FTDI chip and the AVR. For instance, there could be traces separated, or the AVR could be not oscillating due to bad crystal circuit, or (most likely?) you could have an AVR that doesn't have the bootloader programmed into it...

When I was debugging the single-sided-serial and the (yellow) freeduino boards, I found a useful intermediate step to be a "serial loopback" test with the ftdi (or rs232 driver) present but the AVR NOT installed in its socket. Use a jumper wire to connect the relevant TX and RX pins at the digitial IO connector or the AVR socket. Now use either the arduino software serial monitor (without downloading any sketch) or some other serial comm program (I used minicom) and send some data. It SHOULD appear back (echoed) in your comm window, having gone out over USB, thought the FTDI (or through the serial port and rs232 driver), over the PCB to the AVR socket, through the jumper, back into the FTDI and over the usb (or through the rs232 driver and serial ports) and back to your screen. If that works, and you can't download programs with the AVR plugged back in, there is something suspect with the AVR itself.

This board is from a kit that I got through http://www.nkcelectronics.com/freeduino-arduino-diecimila-compatible-board-complete-kit.html. Thank you for the suggestions. I will try them out in the morning when I wake up.