Freeduino with Atmega 168 and RFID Reader/Writer RC522

Hello guys,

I have an Freeduino with Atmega168 controller and a RFID-RC522 shield, I tried some projects from github for reading RFID-Tags, but doesn't work, some LED projects for example running good, Now I am not sure, is it possible to run RFID-RC522 projects with this Freeduino or not, or did I something wrong? If someone can help me, thanks in advance.

You don’t provide enough info to help you.How did you wire it?
What programs did you test?

HugoPT:
You don’t provide enough info to help you.How did you wire it?
What programs did you test?

I did wire last time like this:

RFID-RC522 Freeduino

3.3v 3.3v
GND GND
SDA 10
SCK 13
MOSI 11
MISO 12
RST 9 (also to Reset)

I tried this code

/*
 * MFRC522 - Library to use ARDUINO RFID MODULE KIT 13.56 MHZ WITH TAGS SPI W AND R BY COOQROBOT.
 * The library file MFRC522.h has a wealth of useful info. Please read it.
 * The functions are documented in MFRC522.cpp.
 * Based on code Dr.Leong   ( WWW.B2CQSHOP.COM )
 * Created by Miguel Balboa (circuitito.com), Jan, 2012.
 * Rewritten by Søren Thing Andersen (access.thing.dk), fall of 2013 (Translation to English, refactored, comments, anti collision, cascade levels.)
 * Released into the public domain.
 * Sample program showing how to read data from a PICC using a MFRC522 reader on the Arduino SPI interface.
 *----------------------------------------------------------------------------- empty_skull 
 * Aggiunti pin per arduino Mega
 * add pin configuration for arduino mega
 * http://mac86project.altervista.org/
 ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Nicola Coppola
 * Pin layout should be as follows:
 * Signal     Pin              Pin               Pin
 *            Arduino Uno      Arduino Mega      MFRC522 board
 * ------------------------------------------------------------
 * Reset      9                5                 RST
 * SPI SS     10               53                SDA
 * SPI MOSI   11               51                MOSI
 * SPI MISO   12               50                MISO
 * SPI SCK    13               52                SCK
 * The reader can be found on eBay for around 5 dollars. Search for "mf-rc522" on ebay.com. 
 */

#include <SPI.h>
#include <MFRC522.h>

#define SS_PIN 10
#define RST_PIN 9
MFRC522 mfrc522(SS_PIN, RST_PIN);	// Create MFRC522 instance.

void setup() {
	Serial.begin(9600);	// Initialize serial communications with the PC
	SPI.begin();			// Init SPI bus
	mfrc522.PCD_Init();	// Init MFRC522 card
	Serial.println("Scan PICC to see UID and type...");
}

void loop() {
	// Look for new cards
	if ( ! mfrc522.PICC_IsNewCardPresent()) {
		return;
	}

// Select one of the cards
	if ( ! mfrc522.PICC_ReadCardSerial()) {
		return;
	}

// Dump debug info about the card. PICC_HaltA() is automatically called.
	mfrc522.PICC_DumpToSerial(&(mfrc522.uid));
}

And this:

#include<SPI.h>
#include<RFID.h>
#define SS_PIN 10
#define RST_PIN 9
RFID rfid(SS_PIN,RST_PIN);
int serNum[5];
void setup(){

Serial.begin(9600);
    SPI.begin();
    rfid.init();
}
void loop(){
    if(rfid.isCard()){
        if(rfid.readCardSerial()){
            Serial.print(rfid.serNum[0],DEC);
            Serial.print(" ");
           Serial.print(rfid.serNum[1],DEC);
           Serial.print(" ");
           Serial.print(rfid.serNum[2],DEC);
           Serial.print(" ");
           Serial.print(rfid.serNum[3],DEC);
           Serial.print(" ");
          Serial.print(rfid.serNum[4],DEC);
          Serial.println("");
          }
     }
     rfid.halt();
}

20140727_154059[1].jpg

Your first tried code from MFRC522 Library, which Dumps all information from RFID Tag, second one uses same Library's previous version which won't work with new Library. You can use both versions, compile old codes with previous version, and new codes with Latest version. You can identify which version to use by looking code mfrc522.PCD_Init; (newer) or rfid.init(); (older) Since you can able to compile first one Sorry second one you have older Library. I suggest you use latest version from here: https://github.com/miguelbalboa/rfid/

And If you want to take a look, I am working on a project with same module, which features unlocking door with RFID tags. Feel free to ask questions about this module, since I am working on this project I got experienced.

http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=256260

omersiar: Your first tried code from MFRC522 Library, which Dumps all information from RFID Tag, second one uses same Library's previous version which won't work with new Library. You can use both versions, compile old codes with previous version, and new codes with Latest version. You can identify which version to use by looking code mfrc522.PCD_Init; (newer) or rfid.init(); (older) Since you can able to compile first one Sorry second one you have older Library. I suggest you use latest version from here: https://github.com/miguelbalboa/rfid/

And If you want to take a look, I am working on a project with same module, which features unlocking door with RFID tags. Feel free to ask questions about this module, since I am working on this project I got experienced.

http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=256260

I did try this library from your link, but does not work. Do you use the same Arduino board as I and are my connections right??

I am using RC522 Module it is same. If you doing do not connect RC522 Module's RST pin to Arduino's Reset pin, does not need to.

SS (SCK), RST pin can be configurable in Example sketchs (which come with library) check them, sometimes they pre-configured to Pins for Arduino Mega. Since Atmega168 supports SPI protocol you should able to use this module without error.