Freescale pressure sensors and water

None of the Freescale pressure sensors are rated for anything other than dry air, but the materials used in the construction appear to be specifically designed to be resistant to various solvents including water. So far I've killed 2 sensors. I don't know if this is because of the water or due to static discharge. They are shipped in anti-static packaging and I have to solder them under a microscope because the contacts are so small. The sensors are tiny so doing a mechanical autopsy will destroy the device masking any possible damage that was caused by water intrusion.

Has anyone used these in a liquid level sensing application and found them to be reliable over a period of months or years?

Mike

the data sheet hides a small reference. this applies to your exact use.

1. Exposure beyond the specified limits may cause permanent damage or degradation to the device.

I hate to sound like a jerk, but materials used in the construction of my UNO appear to be specifically designed to be resistant to various solvents including water. in point of fact, they wash the flux off with water. alas, for some odd reason, it does not operate under water.

There are ways to separate the liquid from the sensor, but the real solution is to use a device that is manufactured for the process being measured.