French English question

This is mostly a question for someone who is both a native French speaker and who also speaks and writes good English.

Sometimes I will see a question or comment by someone whose native language, it later transpires, is French. However, their English is so good this is not immediately obvious. Not obvious that is until they refer to powering their project at which point the word they use is 'alimentation'. I am curious to know why a French speaker with an excellent command of English gets this one word wrong; it's just not a word we use, not in the 21st century anyway.

Please explain.

I thank you.

Alimenter == to feed

Alimentary, my dear Bebbington.

3 Likes

Perhaps its viewed as a more concise way of explaining things. I'm in the USA and have started using the word "mains" as it is much clearer and concise than any USA description.

What I don't understand is how someone can learn English as a second language so well that a native speaker doesn't notice, but get a single word completely wrong. Not just one person but many French speakers.

Some words are simply in such common use, that even bilinguals don't think too hard about them, and slip them into conversation when they're inappropriate.

In business French, it's very common to attend a séance, even several times a day. French offices even have special rooms labelled "Salle de séance".
It's disappointing to find they don't even have a Ouija board in them.

I worked with folks from France and Germany. Many of the folks spoke very good English (even technical). However I can always tell by some phrases they use. For instance...."Yes it is true".
So I guess folks just liked their word over ours.