Fritzing, different size pads for capacitors and resistors though 0805 for both

Hi

I’ve been using Fritzing and tried to find an answer to this but could not, so wondering if anyone here knows. Resistors and capacitors of the SMD 0805 size type have different pad sizes. The resistor pads are bigger.

Before I get the board produced I just wanted to check if this is okay and normal?

Regards

Phil

Edit: Seems the capacitors I added were using a ‘sparkfun cap’ template, I found other ones more generic and they have the same pad sizes as the resistors, so I am now changing them. Still wonder why those labelled sparkfun are different?

pads.png

Fritzing is the F-word on this forum.

Switch to the free version of Eagle.
Bit of a learning curve, but in the long run you will be happy you did.
Leo..

I've seen two footprints for caps - but the difference in size there is very large.

Fritzing is not fit for purpose.

Phil-D:
Hi

I've been using Fritzing and tried to find an answer to this but could not, so wondering if anyone here knows. Resistors and capacitors of the SMD 0805 size type have different pad sizes. The resistor pads are bigger.

Before I get the board produced I just wanted to check if this is okay and normal?

Regards

Phil

Edit: Seems the capacitors I added were using a 'sparkfun cap' template, I found other ones more generic and they have the same pad sizes as the resistors, so I am now changing them. Still wonder why those labelled sparkfun are different?

Manufacturers generally give guidance for pad sizes in their data sheets.

All i can think of.
Resistors have to dissipate power generally more so than capacitors, the larger pads may be for heatsinking.

pad size is generally to do with the liquid solder meniscus being correct - the pad size determines
how much solder paste is available to flow into the meniscus as the component is sucked against
the board by surface tension and squeezes the liquid solder from under its pads - just trust the
datasheet's recommendations, for large components its less crucial, for small ones surface tension
beats gravity and can cause tombstoning or component movement if the pads aren't correct.

I wouldn't worry about 0805, those are large components in the SMT world (in other words they can
be hand soldered, so they are huge!)

Hi

Thanks for the replies.

I checked now in Eagle and the capacitor and resistor pad sizes are the same size, the same as the resistor size in Fritzing. It seems the Sparkfun template for capacitors is for some reason designed smaller with less spare pad space than the resistors. I've switched to the generic capacitor template in Fritzing now and they are the same size.

I understand what people say about Fritzing, however this is only a small hobby for me and I got used to Fritzing and I've had boards produced before from it's Gerber files and they've all been good. I might give Eagle a go for the next design. All these sorts of tools have their own oddities and frustrations, the best one is usually the one you get use to :slight_smile:

Thanks everyone.

Regards

Phil

Hi Phil

I have never used fritzing for making boards, however do know KiCad has different footprints for oven and hand soldering 0805 devices. The handsoldering footprint has longer pads. Potentially it's a similar concept.

Geoff