Frustrated. '595 Shift Register won't output anything on the outputs from nano

I have this same thing working with my Arduino Uno a few months ago and tested a version with a nano on a breadboard.

I am trying to shift data into a 595 shift register and display it via LEDs using Shiftout. I have digitally probed my circuit board, but there is nothing coming out of the outputs. I have tested the inputs (Latch, Clock, and Data) and they seem to be getting signal.

Here is one major difference: my old project showed a dimly lit LED when I connected to the latch, but on my new circuit board with nano, it is just bright. I have used delays in the code to see it visibly blinking.

Am I making any sense? Probably not. I am very tired and frustrated. I have verified continuity between all the pins. The picture of the PCB is attached.

New development: If the chip is very loose in the socket, it will kinda, almost work.

Could you post a circuit diagram? Did you test your circuit on a breadboard?

The track on the right of your board looks badly damaged, almost cut in the middle of the long segment. Maybe it's not the cause of your problem but you should fix that too :)

Here’s the image attached to the top post so others don’t have to download it to view it.

49d605cea7cf9dbcbdc133bb91d56a5947df2889.jpg

Here’s a link to instructions how to insert an uploaded image into a post (for next time).

mattosx:
New development: If the chip is very loose in the socket, it will kinda, almost work.

That sounds odd.

I second dlloyd’s request for a schematic.

guix:
The track on the right of your board looks badly damaged, almost cut in the middle of the long segment.

Maybe Pac Man took bite out of it?

Well, everyone, thanks for putting up with my stupidity. Even though my prior PCB worked, the culprit was not typing MR to high...

Hi,
For reliability, I’d be bypassing or patching that extreme right hand vertical track.
Nice homemade board, resist might have been a bit thin along the edge.
circuit2b.jpg

Tom… :slight_smile: